Logo

15hp Evinrude Starts & Dies?

Joe is still with us, thanks Joe. Right.....could it be flooding out??? How hard are you sqeezing the bulb in order to get the gas mix to run out?

If normal pressure is producing the fuel flow out front of carb, perhaps we are flooding out. Joe might be right. Then it becomes hard start, especially with the extremely slow speed allowed when in neutral. That should be a simple fix then, brah. Float or needle or seat.

sorry for late update,
I think I found an issue.
the Nut which hold the Flywheel is stripped and not holding down the flywheel. measured the pitch on the shaft and I got a pitch of 1.5 when I bought a M14x1.5 it did not work.
does anyone know the exact specs on the Nut for Flywheel?
I found the Nut on Various parts sites but they want like $17. if I know exact specs I can get for Tacoma Screw for 2 dollars probably.
I gave them my old one but it was to gone to get a accurate pitch reading.

So how does the key and channels/grooves/slots look? If it is sloppy enough to interrupt spark, then you have to deal with that too. Might need to dress the crankshaft with a die also. I will check size on a 15 out in my shop.

Last edited:
the woodruf key looks sloppy . i am getting a new one today. also found the exact measurement for the Nut M22 2.5mm pitch. the threads on crank are fine, looks great, it is the threads on the Nut

That size doesn't sound right, however. I am going out to the shop now.....okay......cold out there. 6 degrees with 30 mph winds. 9/16" 18 threads per inch, brother. That is made in USA, so is the nut you need. Checked it on a crankshaft out of a 15 hp. It is exactly the same. 9/16 is only 14.2875mm. Your 22 is almost a 7/8"....no way.......did you say it was a 15 hp or a 50 hp???

Last edited:
Back