Logo

1996 Evinrude 50 Hp Power Tilt DOWN not working

McFly

Background: The down side of the power tilt/trim stopped working mid way through last summer (2018).

First, I swapped the relays around, to see if the down relay had gone bad. This had some success, as the down started working again. So I thought I had found my problem and easy replacement. I then replaced BOTH relays and the same problem continued. I wiggled and wabbled the relays in their seats while holding the down switch (on the lower cowl) engaged with no success. Finally and most recently I replaced the pan switch itself on the lower cowling to no avail. When I engage the down switch I can hear and feel the relays energizing. And despite my wiggling of the relays there is no energizing of the tilt motor with the down switch engaged.

What's next? I've checked the obvious fuses, at least the ones I can see. All seem fine. If I take off the relays, is there anything beyond the relays that should be removed and replaced? What about the rocker switch up on the throttle? Thanks again for any insight.

Mike
1996 Evinrude 50 Hp, 2-stroke
Boston Whaler 15'

Evinrude 50hp 2 stroke.jpg

You are gonna find that one of the grounds at the relay sockets is open. If down does not work, the up ground is open, and vice versa.
Probably an open solder joint on the board that the relay sockets are mounted to. (if it has such a board...)

Best to pull both relays, and disconnect the PTT motor, then wade in with an ohmmeter.

You are gonna find that one of the grounds at the relay sockets is open. If down does not work, the up ground is open, and vice versa.
Probably an open solder joint on the board that the relay sockets are mounted to. (if it has such a board...)

Best to pull both relays, and disconnect the PTT motor, then wade in with an ohmmeter.

Hey Daselbee, thanks for the reply. Sounds kind of technical for my level. I have a multi meter, I know where the Ohm setting is, but no idea where to place the test leads. I'll do some digging and see if the relays plug in to a "board" and if it's easily removed.

Back