Logo

Honda 135..... Good or best avoided?

metal-chicken

Regular Contributor
My sister might be looking at a RIB that's running a 2007 Honda 135.
It's an ex sailing school boat do I'd imagine it's had a fair bit of use.

Before I can get any further info is this model basically good out does it have it's demons?

Can't give you a definitive answer, but the 135 replaced the trouble-prone 130, which had significant issues. I understand it's a totally different design and there have been very few issues on this forum concerning the 135 as best as I recall.

Hondadude, Ian, and Chris likely have a lot of experience with this engine and hopefully they will chime in.

The 135 is a workhorse. If well maintained it will last a long time.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is a picture of a 135 on a workboat. It is about 10 years old and has well over 1000 hours on it. It a workboat for a club that has a boat dock on the river. It is used by many different people to move the docks and clear drift wood.

As you can see it is very abused. It has been under water two times and, they seem to play bumper cars with it. Check out the lower unit. Not much left. I have only had to reseal it once. They never want to spend the money on cosmetics. So, we just patch the major items that are broken, do a general service and send them on their way.

Notice the small line hanging from the starboard side of the hood. That is a "custom" hood release.

Needless to say, these things can put up with a lot of "stuff".

Mike

Attachments

• 135motor.jpg
    135motor.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 104
Back