Logo

2011 Honda BP90 temperature alert issue...

cdcaveman

after running for approximently 3-5 minutes above a certain rpm the engine beeps,and the temp light glows red... i typically turn the motor off , but if left on it will turn off itself... It will not beep if i let it sit in idle... I changed the water pump, the two thermostates , and flushed with 50/50 vinegar . I am waiting for the diagnoistic software to come in... I've read in other threads about a poppet or pressure relief valve going bad causing this issue but i can't find that anywhere in the schematic nor on the motor.... let me know if anyone needs any clarification on the issue.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

The only thing i can put it down to why it comes on is that the motor is getting hot at a higher RPM due to it not cooling ,then remember its a thermal switch with the key on and the thermal switch not cooled off the circuit is still on when it cools off the circuit will open and the light should go out. could also be alternator

Last edited:
Can you describe past history of this engine? What condition was the block thermostat in. because they are often badly salted up, assuming this engine is used in saltwater? In my experience, the main issue with overheat on these engines is a high build up of salt round the bottom cylinder water gallery, usually necessitating cylinder head removal to clean properly. The pressure relief valve is mounted in the mount case right under the oil pump,difficult to remove but is possible with perseverance although I have not seen a problem with these.All I can suggest is try removing both thermostats, remove the lower unit and set up a pump system to pump neat vinegar through the power head over a 6 hour period to try and remove all salt deposits

Can you describe past history of this engine? What condition was the block thermostat in. because they are often badly salted up, assuming this engine is used in saltwater? In my experience, the main issue with overheat on these engines is a high build up of salt round the bottom cylinder water gallery, usually necessitating cylinder head removal to clean properly. The pressure relief valve is mounted in the mount case right under the oil pump,difficult to remove but is possible with perseverance although I have not seen a problem with these.All I can suggest is try removing both thermostats, remove the lower unit and set up a pump system to pump neat vinegar through the power head over a 6 hour period to try and remove all salt deposits
Motor is a 2011 I bought it two years ago or less with 7 hours on it.. it was never run in salt before I bought it... I ran it in shallow water in the flats in Titusville FL a good bit... I noticed when changing the thermostats there are some deposits so I flushed it with vinegar.. again I changed the thermostats and water pump impeller... Not sure where to go from here... I always flush the motor after saltwater...

The only thing i can put it down to why it comes on is that the motor is getting hot at a higher RPM due to it not cooling ,then remember its a thermal switch with the key on and the thermal switch not cooled off the circuit is still on when it cools off the circuit will open and the light should go out. could also be alternator

how could it be the alternator?

i used cleaning vinegar which is 5% but i diluted it as well with water 50% i bought like 21 half gallon bottles from walmart and put it in a storage tote and diluted with with water and just ran the motor recycling the vinegar into the tote... i did this for a bout an hour.. let it sit, then ran it again,, let it sit and ran it again.. but for less time.. i did see salt build up when i replaced the thermostates..

The alternator is a stator/alternator combined your motor has it on the top if the red light comes on for 2seconds and goes off for 2sec then on again for 2sec together with a intermittent sound from a warning device like a beep then you have a alternator problem .buy a manual it will help you.

Tegweni,he's getting a constant alarm with the temp warning light, that is an overheat alarm.Cdcaveman, if you can get a DrH hooked up you will be able to monitor the temp and see which sensor is setting off the alarm, there are three of them. I am thinking you are going to need to pull the cylinder head off because this overheat is happening quickly. I have seen these motors with salt and silt packed tight around the bottom cylinder. I also suggest before pulling the head you try swapping the offending sensor with a good one because I have known them to go out of range.

Tegweni,he's getting a constant alarm with the temp warning light, that is an overheat alarm.Cdcaveman, if you can get a DrH hooked up you will be able to monitor the temp and see which sensor is setting off the alarm, there are three of them. I am thinking you are going to need to pull the cylinder head off because this overheat is happening quickly. I have seen these motors with salt and silt packed tight around the bottom cylinder. I also suggest before pulling the head you try swapping the offending sensor with a good one because I have known them to go out of range.

i'm waiting on the software and hook up , its in the mail , should be here in a few days... pulling the cylinder head off sounds like a big endevor! ... but it definitly is the temp alarm... red light comes on , and sound is constant, not and on and off beep..

Just ran it with software.. sensor 1 reads 100 degrees Fahrenheit and sensor 2 reads 188-190 when alarm goes off. Haven't gotten a descriptive error code though... Why such a difference in temp between two sensors!

There are 3 temp sensors , sensor 1 is at the bottom of the block, sensor 2 is in the exhaust water jacket and 3 cylinder head.What is the reading for sensor 3? Temp is not logged as a fault code, honda merely log number of overheats so check that number and when the alarm goes off check give me the values of the 3 temp sensors and I will tell you what is going on

I will double check, I think the 75 has EBT and ECT sensors on the data list,I will check and confirm
So we found the pressure relief valve and there was nothing wrong with it nor was it clogged... Upon further inspection behind one of the two thermostats was completely blocked off that we didn't see before.... While poking around we punch through with a screwdriver the passage that was completely blocker off... We're running it right now and it's working great thanks for you guys as help..

Good result, that thermostat behind the electrical box catches a lot of people, you did say you had done both thermostats, anyway,all good

Good result, that thermostat behind the electrical box catches a lot of people, you did say you had done both thermostats, anyway,all good

I had replaced both thermostats...but it was the one behind the electrical panel that was clogged...I just didn't notice it was clogged way back in there...harder to see in there on that one.....boy I got to know my way around the motor this time

Back