Logo

Oil analysis high silicon level ?

Blackfin27

Contributing Member
350 TB using 15w40 Rotella.
Lab analysis showed high silicon level.

All other levels in line.

What would the cause be? Any major concern?
Gasket ?

Thanks.

So what does ---" high " mean ?-------What value did the lab find in PPM ?---What do they normally find in oil samples ?------Silicon is used in aluminum alloys and bronze bearings.-------

In addition to post #2's inquiries, how many oils are on the engine, any recent work or maintenance done, and how many hours were on the sample taken?

Finally, do you have previous oil sample data; ie have you established trend lines?

In addition to post #2's inquiries, how many oils are on the engine, any recent work or maintenance done, and how many hours were on the sample taken?

Finally, do you have previous oil sample data; ie have you established trend lines?

This is the first lab sample on this engine so I do not have a trend line yet.
The engine has about 800 hours on it.
1997 TB.
Oil was changed this June 15W40 Rotella.

Silicon 101 over an average of 7 per Blackstone.

All other readings appear in line with averages.

ok 800 hours on the engine....how many hours on the oil sample provided? any maintenance done since the last oil change (ie what was done that could have influenced the sample)?

With a single data set, its hard to say what the cause is. Silicon by itself is usually an indicator of dirt...Blackstone sees more samples than most anybody else - so their opinion would probably be worth getting...

ok 800 hours on the engine....how many hours on the oil sample provided? any maintenance done since the last oil change (ie what was done that could have influenced the sample)?

With a single data set, its hard to say what the cause is. Silicon by itself is usually an indicator of dirt...Blackstone sees more samples than most anybody else - so their opinion would probably be worth getting...

Lets say about 200 hours on the sample. No major work other than new HeatX.

Blackstone mentioned dirt as the chief source.

that's twice the service interval that my manual shows....If you are committed to the oil analysis, I'd suggest another one about 75 hours into the 'new' oil and see what shows up then.

that's twice the service interval that my manual shows....If you are committed to the oil analysis, I'd suggest another one about 75 hours into the 'new' oil and see what shows up then.

OK thanks. I held off on my usual 'fall' oil change in order to get the sample in to the lab.

Back