Logo

Honda BF 6D6LK - Ran dry ~ 20x few seconds / waves // died and doesnt start / Impeller

tri

Hey guys,

I hope maybe someone can diagnose the defect.

The outboarder came out approx 20x for few seconds ~4 and the last time for ~ 10 seconds while stottering and finally died.

doesnt start any more. feels like its trying to start but cant.

learned the lesson for going in too ruff sea now but had to catch a flight. will plan better next time.

now i have to get it going again.

from my online research i found that the impeller should be the problem. can there be more to it? im in europe but the boat is in africa. thats why i need to know the problem so i can bring the right spare parts when i go there.

thanks a lot

Well, if I understand your description correctly, the outboard kept bobbing up in the waves and lost prime to the water pump.
If that's what happened, then yes, the pump may have suffered some damage. But, that shouldn't cause the outboard not to start. Something else is likely going on keeping it from running.

Is it possible that a wave or two washed over the power head?
If so, pull the hood (cover) and look for signs of water. If water got up there, especially salt water, then you will want to get that dried up asap. I use WD-40 on mobile electrical systems to displace water that may be shorting out the ignition system.

There would also be the possibility that the engine may have ingested water via the carburetor. In that case you will want to drain the carb bowl at a minimum. Spraying WD-40 into the carb through the carb carb drain hole and into the carb throat is also a good way to "de-water" things. However, putting liquids into the intake requires that you remove the spark plug and pull the engine over several times to prevent hydrolock and engine damage.

The worst scenario is that enough water was ingested that engine damage did occur.

I would take a COMPLETE water pump kit....not just a new impeller...to repair the water pump.
Take WD-40 or something for drying the ignition and electrical system. Check for spark.

If, after doing a water clean up for the carb as I've described above, then having a compression gauge and the specifications may be useful for further diagnosis of the no start.

If you elect to use starting fluid to try and start it, use SPARINGLY and CAREFULLY as many engines are damaged by overuse of ether.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back