Logo

1965 6hp Fisherman still wont start - what am I missing?

Harbor Freight.

Damned if that cleaner doesn't look like the top view of a coffee maker.... clock, appliance setting buttons, etc.
Are you sure it wasn't Wal*Mart? :)

I have the regular Harbor Freight parts cleaner (Floor Model)... doesn't look like that.

Doesn't really matter where they came from because they're all Chinese crap that'll be in the garbage dump before to long.

Just like outboard motors, these things are made in many colours / brands and models !-----Used an industrial one way back in the early 1970's.----It was used every day for years and caused no trouble.----You get what you pay for.

Well, I searched the HF website and that cleaner unit is first item on the first page ??

Racer... Surely you jest. A small parts cleaner, just big enough to hold one carburetor that exhibits a digital clock and four setting buttons?

I have their floor model self standing parts cleaner, the only one they handle... looks nothing like the one displayed here. I also have their magazine (monthly issue) that displays everything the sell and have looked thru it... no such item that I can find. Perhaps Harbor Freight is somewhat different in my neck of the woods.

I'll go on the HF website you mention to see what I can find.

EDIT: Short time later.... Visited Harbor Freight's website, searched thoroughly. Only parts cleaner they handle is as follows.
Parts Cleaner-2.jpg

Last edited:
I took a couple pictures of my coils and tried to upload them - but that doesn't seem possible. I think my file sizes are too big.

They are a purple/brown color with a green square section in the center on the outside. There's a round embossed logo on the round side. They look very clean and not damaged,

How do I identify if they are replacements?

If they are not cracked they are likely replacements.-----Clean ( really clean ) the breaker points and test for spark again.

Joe, I got the same cleaner as you, still have the extra pump too. Love it. Never a problem in the 35 years. Those fancy little new ones might be good for pressure canning my salsa. I usually go 50 minutes.....heavy on the habaneros too.

If they are not cracked they are likely replacements.-----Clean ( really clean ) the breaker points and test for spark again.

Those are replacements and good ones at that. I have some here. Usually stock at least 6. Have you seen the bright red colored coils? They are good quality too.

Try using the correct description [FONT=HarborFreightFont_bold]"ULTRASONIC CLEANER"[/FONT]

Ultrasonic huh?.... I've never had a need for that in my 30+ years in the trade. Never knew it existed.

Cute little thing... still think it looks like a coffee maker.

Shops today use the ULTRASONIC ( high frequency sound waves ) to clean carburetors.------The machine works while the tech does other work.-----They work very well and are considered a money maker / time saver.

Shops today use the ULTRASONIC ( high frequency sound waves ) to clean carburetors.------The machine works while the tech does other work.-----They work very well and are considered a money maker / time saver.

I'll take your word for it racer... My working days are far behind me. I assume the cleaner is a improvement over the regular parts cleaner pertaining to small jobs only. The info is appreciated.

Just ordered new OEM points and condensers - can't hurt to try them.

Once I get them installed I can give this motor another chance to start. So far parts-wise I'm not in it too deep.

Okay let us know how she runs, thanks. Ultrasonic......is that kinda like a real fast jet or something?

Ultrasonic= high frequency sound waves.-------If you have never used a cleaner like that then perhaps you do should try one.-----With the correct cleaning solution they work very well.-----Used in jewelry shops / dental clinics ETC, ETC.

Okay, I have never tried one for small parts, I will probably end up buying one. I still rebuild automotive carburators and it sounds like the perfect solution so delicate and hard to find parts can be safely cleaned. Remember the Quadrajets, Carters, AFB's and Holleys? Got plenty around and I do restoration support for lovers of 67 to 72 Chev/GMC trucks. I drive em in my firewood business too. Got no interest whatsoever in the newer trucks and modern engine/transmission technology for my own use. Love the 350 400 427 and 454's.....naturally aspirated. I repair the new stuff, but love and embrace the technology of the 60s.

Back