Logo

1982 mariner 40EL lower unit bearing carrier removal question

Dude22573

Should the bearing carrier in this lower unit pull out like most other bearing carriers? I got the retainer nut off but the carrier will not move with a puller.

If you have a large rubber mallet, you can give the unit some firm raps to get it out. A good OEM Manual shows the proper procedure. I have also placed a small slender and short wooden board against the prop nut and rapped on it to remove it. It is easiest to remove after the first time out. I can't find a decent picture. A good piece of fir 2X4 and a hammer will work or a wooden mallet. You can lock the prop shaft in a vice and have a friend hold the lower while you give it a sharp rap.

Last edited:
I have a manual on the way. I will give the mallet a try and see if I can get it to move. The retainer nut is the only thing that holds the carrier in the lower unit correct?

I guess I can't say for sure but I'm reasonably sure it doesn't have anything else in the way. Don't use a ******** swing, use a hammer and nail swing. Doubt if that will damage anything. If that doesn't work. Wait for the manual.

This is possibly a 37 year old lower unit. You will need an O/A torch with a rose bud tip. Start heating the case down around where the o-ring seal rides. If you want to pull this carrier with out using heat, be prepared to replace it.

I've used an old prop as a puller to get stubborn ones out. Stick plywood between a prop and the housing and tighten the prop nut.

One needs to use a bunch of washers and plywood of different thicknesses to make it work.

Jeff

One caution on my method: It can pull apart the rubber hub if the guts don't want to come out. I use solid hub props so that's never a problem.

Jeff

Back