Logo

Removing the driveshaft

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
Hello gents,
Been awhile since I've done any wrenching since I bought a Honda BF115 outboard. I'm currently converting my 20" shaft to a 25". I have a shop manual and all the parts. Right now, I can't get the old driveshaft out. I have removed the nut holding the gear on the bottom of it, but the gear won't come off. Please advise and thank you in advance.. Dimitri

Well....just looking at the parts page on boats.net I think the gear should slide right off. I mean, isn't that the way it is with most of this stuff? It should slide right off....but it doesn't.

Has there ever been water in the gearcase? Might just be a bit of corrosion holding it.

You might be able to take a piece of flat stock of 3/16" or more and grind, work one end with a "U" shape that you can slide in there and sit it on top of the gear. If you cut the bar long enough so that it protrudes out of the case and leaves you a place to hold while you strike down on it with a hammer, the force of the blows will transfer through the bar to the top of gear. This won't be the same as striking straight down on the gear with a drift but it may be enough to shock the gear into releasing its grip.

I wish you good luck!

You need a special tool to remove the upper driveshaft bearing retainer nut and then hold the driveshaft in a vice and using a block of wood and a 4lb hammer, hit the housing to break the taper lock on the pinion gear.

Sorry, the special tool required is 07916-MB00002. Just be aware that this is not just a case of changing the shaft, the shims will need to be recalculated or you may end up needing a very expensive repair.

I received the special tool and removed the bearing lock. The shaft came right out. thank you for your help, I probably would have broken or damaged something without your advice. Much appreciated....Dimitri

Back