Logo

How much is a Chrysler 55HP Motor worth?

purenet

If???
Does it run??
Good compression?
No water in the lower unit?

About 300$ is what I'd sell it for.

If you remove the stuff on the cowl, clean the grease/oil and maybe paint the mid section and prop.
It will sell better.

Under the hood in the front on the bottom cover should be a metal tag with the ID and serial #.

If???
Does it run??
Good compression?
No water in the lower unit?

About 300$ is what I'd sell it for.

If you remove the stuff on the cowl, clean the grease/oil and maybe paint the mid section and prop.
It will sell better.

Under the hood in the front on the bottom cover should be a metal tag with the ID and serial #.

Hi Jerry - Thank you for the information. I don't know if it runs, I bought an empty lot and the engine was left there. It has been covered and has been under a shed for many years. My suspicion is that it probably does run, since several other gas powered items were left and they worked fine. I don't know how to start it, I was thinking of taking it to a Marine Engine place and have them check it, but it is not worth it for the amount you mentioned. Honestly, I would just like to sell it at a reasonable price and would return some money if it turns out the engine does not run, especially if it is just worth $300.

I live in Brookfield IL in case anyone is interested in seeing it. Otherwise I will probably list it in Craigslist after I get the information from the cover.

Alberto - [email protected]

If you clean it up well and get it running, it could bring lots more. But first it needs to be evaluated for compression, lower unit oil, prop shaft, if bent. Condition of fuel system and spark test. I recently sold a little Chrysler 10 (actually 9....) For $750. It was running, with nice steel fuel tank and good to look at. The price can vary dramatically.

WOW!! 750$ for Chrysler 10???
You found that 1 guy who REALLY wanted that motor.
About the only way it was worth that is if it was electric start.

It was really sweet and ran as good as it looked. I have a few more little Chryslers around here, but more normally beaten up. I will dig up that Chrysler photo that I had on Craigs List and post it later.

Can't even get 35$ for scrap here.
People still buy them everywhere.

I've sent a lot of used parts to Tennessee.
That CL motor just needs a little Soft Scrub and elbow grease.

Put a 55 on a 14ft. toon up in Mi.
Fastest toon on the lake. :)

Yes, the bigger horsepowers are harder to sell. I deal primarily with tillers 25 hp and down. The 9.8 I mentioned earlier was exceptionally clean and ran perfectly.

Older motors gave value to those who are capable and willing to do the work on them-----They are of no value to the vast majority that has to run to a repair shop.------Repair shop labour kills the idea of owning one of these.-----If you can maintain one yourself they do make economical boating on a $ cost per hour of fun.

Here is the sweet little Chrysler, it is a 7.5. Sorry my memory was off, I sell quite a few outboards. Notice frontal location on shifter, lower location for starting rope so motor doesn't try to tilt up when you pull the recoil. Also a "beefy" and perfectly located tiller handle. Some nice ideas for sure.

Attachments

• Chrysler 7.5 7-15-15 002.jpg
    Chrysler 7.5 7-15-15 002.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Chrysler 7.5 7-15-15 003.jpg
    Chrysler 7.5 7-15-15 003.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
How is this for a good lookin' boat, my customer.....all original Chrysler? Notice the twin windscreens with flaired tops.

Attachments

• chrysler boat 1978.jpg
    chrysler boat 1978.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 83
How is this for a good lookin' boat, my customer.....all original Chrysler? Notice the twin windscreens with flaired tops.
Gentlemen, Very thankful for all the information shared. I finally had the time to open up the Engine and get the serial number and to my surprise the Engine looks brand new. Like I said before, I don't know anything about boat engines, so expected to see the engine dirty like a car engine. I opened it up and it was covered in foam which was disintegrating, so don't know if it is normal to have foam inside or not. The dark spots that look like grease are particles from the foam that disintegrated.

Serial Number:
https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Public/Bills Lot/forsale/Photo Apr 03, 7 16 21 PM.jpg?role=personal

More Pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aq795hvssuju5ms/AACPI30Y4AHpHeW8FrJlB1PQa?dl=0

The foam is to deaden the sound.
Time makes it fall apart.
Remove what's left or it will end up in the carb.

The loose foam has cause a lot of engine failures.

I removed it from my twins and didn't replace it.
Never noticed much difference.

I run in to foam problems alot. Get it out and keep it out once it begins to deteriorate. Fumes and vapors eventually break it down. Nothing we can do to stop that. The effective sound deadening is arguable.

Back