Logo

Green Zinc Chromate Primer

joereeves

Gold Medal Contributor
When I was active in the trade (prior 1991) it seemed there was a dealership, a marina, or a marine type store on almost every corner or river bank in the west central Florida area (Tampa Bay area).

Now, a quarter of a century later.... Where are they???

I've been searching the Internet for a spray can of Green Zinc Chromate Primer pain and have found it at only one place (forget the name) but the $2.95 can is now almost $15 and with the shipping & tax hits the $25 mark.... yeah, that'll be the day!

I have a few motor mounts that I wanted to dress up. Any idea where I might locate a can of this primer?

I searched on this site first of course... no luck.

Find it right on this site.--------Many motors under ----PAINT-------Nothing is cheap anymore.--------Still cheaper than driving anywhere to pick it up.

Find it right on this site.--------Many motors under ----PAINT-------Nothing is cheap anymore.--------Still cheaper than driving anywhere to pick it up.

I looked again under various motor parts, accessories, etc etc.... cannot find "paint". If you found it... what is the precise search method?

How about 1995 models 115 HP and many others.--------Clearly shows a paint page.-----0777172 current part # -----Listed for 1980 models too.

Last edited:
How about 1995 models 115 HP and many others.--------Clearly shows a paint page.-----0777172 current part # -----Listed for 1980 models too.

Racer.... I truly appreciate your efforts my friend. Your entry of the part number allowed me to simply paste it for a number search... and there it was. However, $18.95 for a single can of spray paint is somewhat more than I care to spend.

I picked up a rattle can of Duplicolor Self Etching Primer DAP 1690 at Auto Zone. Works for me.

There's an Auto-Zone store about 6 miles from me in Brandon, Fl... I'll stop in there. If it works for you, I'm sure it'll work for me... if it's green. I'll also check our local "Advantage Auto" store that used to be called "Discount Auto", which is just a couple miles from me for that DAP number.

There is no such thing as " expensive "------Just things that some of us can not afford.-------Priced a " 7 marine 627 " outboard lately ??

There is no such thing as " expensive "------Just things that some of us can not afford.-------Priced a " 7 marine 627 " outboard lately ??

No Racer, sure haven't... don't even know what a "7 Marine 627" is. When I retired, I faded away from the marine line of knowledge pertaining to the futuristic designs and prices, then took part of the more interesting aspects of life, mainly..... late hours, wild women, and cheap booze. :)

The expensive paints are because of hazardous material fees, and other government regulations/requirements for the manufacturing, dispensing, storage, and handling of these products and their ingredients. Recently I bought a quarter pint of base color for my wife's car and it cost 25 bucks. That is ridiculous......right from the same wholesale auto body supply store that I've been buying from for 45 years. The owner, at that time......Mr. Johnson, set up an account for me in 1973. I get the best price available. These "activated" paints used today are very poor when it comes to rust resistance or tolerance, once there is a chip or disruption to the paint film. Joe remembers the good stuff....zinc chromates, which are quite a bit better than the new primers, many of which are also "activated". As a general rule......now this comes from 45 years of painting experience, the slower the dry, the softer and more durable the finish is to oxidation. Your alkyd finishes are the best, acrylics next, epoxies ( activated) 3rd and the very worst are the lacquer finishes, which are quite toxic to breath and dry
almost immediately.
I painted cars, trucks, equipment for all these years and am lucky to have developed no lung problems. I would paint an entire vehicle back in the 70's for under 500 bucks. Today, the materials alone may cost almost double that. A gallon of high quality DuPont alkyd enamel in a metallic color was only about 60 bucks.....if in a red or maroon, a bit more. You laid on the first coat, went in the house for a coffee, then back for the second coat, then out to take a pee, get some fresh air, then make a lake with that last coat.......WOW! My neighbor came home with a new Toyota full size pickup in BLACK color. Shameful paint, so much orange peel...if I had been responsible for that paint.....I'd sand it down and start over. $55,000 bucks.....are you kidding me? Whoever set up that painting robot should have been fired and sent back to school or something.

Last edited:
Well. I must say that this has turned into a most informative discussion... Thank you all for the push that got me going in the right direction..

Now, where I ended up..... Our nearby "Auto Zone" store apparently switched from DAP to a few other brands, none of which were what I was looking for... but over on the right side of my screen, a separate green capped can via Wal*Mart caught my eye but there was something that turned me away from there that slips my mind at the moment.

However, once again, to the right of my screen, another green capped can caught my eye with the name "Advance Auto" beneath it... a auto parts store not more than a mile away. Strange... I had already been there (online) and came away empty handed.

Anyhow, a quick search on that site via that small ad showed the spray can with the flat green color I'm familiar with but under the name of "Rust-Oleum" with the wording that I've encountered many times this morning... "Self Etching Primer". Apparently "Zinc Chromate Primer" is a thing of the past?

This is reasonably priced (for the time we're in at the moment) at $7.29 with a online discount of 20% plus tax... $6.24. Yeah, I think that'll do it quite well. It's not a gearcase I'm refinishing.

And the price?... Sorta reminds me when I quit smoking just before the price of a carton climbed to $3.00 or so. I know it's hard to quit people... my big shove off the fence edge was five mini strokes and a heart attack. It just seems to take whatever it takes. :cool:

Bottom line, the end result... I got my paint... YAY!

Tim... Sent you a email (not a PM) awhile back. Did you get it?

Didn't check, but I will later today. So with those prices you must have quit smoking in the 70's..........just before your heart transplant.......only kidding, but how have you remained so healthy all these years since? Your like Eddie Rickenbacker.......9 lives. They should do a major motion picture on that guy too. He always put God first, and it sure paid off for him. Read up on him sometime, very humble and honest, lived to be 83 even after almost dying in a plane crash in Daytona. And no, he wasn't the pilot.
Great job on the paint.....look at ingredients, likely an acrylic, alkyd may be better for what your doing, but harder to find. Alkyd can also be lifted with fuels until its fully cured and seasoned.....or baked.

Last edited:
Rustoleum makes a can simply labeled "Aluminum Primer" that is very effective. It sticks tight and works well with the BRP factory paints. It is white in color, instead of green, but I've been happy with it's performance.

-TH

You must have quit smoking in the 70's.......... how have you remained so healthy all these years since?......... You're like Eddie Rickenbacker, He always put God first, lived to be 83 even after almost dying in a plane crash in Daytona. And no, he wasn't the pilot.

In the 70's?... No, as I think back, my quote of $3.00 had to be in error. It must have been more like $4.50 or $5.00 as the date is burned into my mind as 01/03/99 at 1:30pm.

Rickenbacker?... Yes, the one in Daytona 1941 was bad, but the one in 1942, the B17 crashing at sea and having all drifting for 3 weeks... he said that he felt that was worse.

My health?... I've had my bad moments, but approaching 90 (3.5yrs), I still feel like I'm 38... plans of another I haven't finished... or yet started?

Back