Logo

Slow Coolant Leak - Mercruiser 7.4L (454) FWC Engines after Top End Rebuild

rnace

This spring I purchased a 1997 Cruisers 35' boat with twin Mercruiser 7.4L (454) carbureted engines, FWC full closed cooling system with inboards and 625 hrs. I had the engines surveyed prior to the purchase and was told both engines had bad cylinder compression due to water intrusion and required top end engine rebuilds.

I bought the boat at a reduced price and immediately had all the work performed by a Certified Mercruiser Mechanic. When work was finished, I made my maiden voyage to my marina located in the Upper Chesapeake 2 hours away.

Work performed as described by mechanic
• Resurfaced heads
• Reconditioned values
• Installed new head gaskets
• Installed new Mercruiser exhaust manifolds, risers and elbows.

Problem: Even though the engines run good, I’ve been chasing a slow coolant leak in both engines for the entire season. This coolant leak requires me to add 4 - 8 oz coolant in both engines every time I take the boat out. The coolant leak does not appear to be going into the engine’s oil or the boat’s bilge and my thoughts are it's going out the exhaust.

The mechanic has not been responsive to my requests to look at this issue. I've now taken it upon myself find the source of the coolant leak. I've been performing a battery of tests along with removing and replacing parts but still can’t identify the root cause.

Here's everything I’ve done so far
• Installed new heat exchangers and pressure (radiator) caps on both engines
– No impact

• Performed cooling system pressure test
– Both engines held at 16 psi

• Performed cylinder compression test
– Starboard engine 130-135 psi all cylinders
– Port engine 130-140 psi all cylinders

• Performed cylinder leak-down test (75 psi input)
– Starboard engine 5%-10%, except cylinder 4 was 20%
– Port engine 4%-12% all cylinders

• Put UV dye in coolant system in both engines
– No leaks detected

• Checked for combustion gases released into coolant with a chemical block tester
– No gases detected on either engine

• Engine oil was analyzed at end of season (25 hrs logged on engines)
– Sodium level 29 ppm on Starboard engine
– Sodium level 56 ppm on Port engine

• Performed pressure test on exhaust manifold and riser isolated from boat's cooling system
– Starboard engine's manifolds and risers held at 20 psi
– Port engine’s manifolds have not been removed and tested yet

Observations
• Both engines run good but produce white smoke.

• Mechanic put the block off gaskets between risers and elbows and re-plumbed the coolant hoses to the riser fittings.
– Mercruiser's service manual specifies the block off gaskets MUST go between the manifold and riser

• When starting the engines cold with the heat exchanger’s pressure caps off....
– Coolant pushes out of the heat exchangers in 60 seconds

• When checking for combustion gases in the coolant with heat exchanger's pressure caps off and funnel attached....
– I noticed small bubbles (non-violate) when revving the engines. Bubbles in port engine were a little more noticeable.

• All 4 exhaust manifolds have water/coolant sitting in the bottom of the manifold port chambers.
– Starboard engine's manifolds were removed,inspected & tested. I couldn't find obvious signs of a gasket failure.
– Port engine's manifolds still installed on engine but I can see water sitting inside with my borescope camera

• Starboard engine's exhaust port openings show signs of moisture and rust
– Excessive rust detected in the exhaust port openings at the exhaust crossover ports at Cylinders 4 and 5

Things left to try
• Remove port engine's exhaust manifolds to look for signs of gasket failure, rust and moisture in ports.
• Remove heads and intake manifolds to look for signs of leaks. *LAST RESORT*

Question: Does anyone have advice or personal experiences they could offer in my quest to find this coolant leak in both engines?

Attachments

• 1_SB Cylinder Ports 1-8.jpg
    1_SB Cylinder Ports 1-8.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 2_Cylinder 5 Close Up.jpg
    2_Cylinder 5 Close Up.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 30
  • 3_Cylinder 4 close up.jpg
    3_Cylinder 4 close up.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 4_water in manifolds after removed.jpg
    4_water in manifolds after removed.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 6_manifold_riser differences.jpg
    6_manifold_riser differences.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 7_spark plugs.jpg
    7_spark plugs.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 32
Put a pressure tester on the heat exchanger with the engine cold. Start the engine push the rpm up immediately to about 2K. Does the pressure jump up? How many psi?

This spring I purchased a 1997 Cruisers 35' boat with twin Mercruiser 7.4L (454) carbureted engines, FWC full closed cooling system with inboards and 625 hrs. I had the engines surveyed prior to the purchase and was told both engines had bad cylinder compression due to water intrusion and required top end engine rebuilds.

I bought the boat at a reduced price and immediately had all the work performed by a Certified Mercruiser Mechanic. When work was finished, I made my maiden voyage to my marina located in the Upper Chesapeake 2 hours away.

Work performed as described by mechanic
• Resurfaced heads
• Reconditioned values
• Installed new head gaskets
• Installed new Mercruiser exhaust manifolds, risers and elbows.

Problem: Even though the engines run good, I’ve been chasing a slow coolant leak in both engines for the entire season. This coolant leak requires me to add 4 - 8 oz coolant in both engines every time I take the boat out. The coolant leak does not appear to be going into the engine’s oil or the boat’s bilge and my thoughts are it's going out the exhaust.

The mechanic has not been responsive to my requests to look at this issue. I've now taken it upon myself find the source of the coolant leak. I've been performing a battery of tests along with removing and replacing parts but still can’t identify the root cause.

Here's everything I’ve done so far
• Installed new heat exchangers and pressure (radiator) caps on both engines
– No impact

• Performed cooling system pressure test
– Both engines held at 16 psi

• Performed cylinder compression test
– Starboard engine 130-135 psi all cylinders
– Port engine 130-140 psi all cylinders

• Performed cylinder leak-down test (75 psi input)
– Starboard engine 5%-10%, except cylinder 4 was 20%
– Port engine 4%-12% all cylinders

• Put UV dye in coolant system in both engines
– No leaks detected

• Checked for combustion gases released into coolant with a chemical block tester
– No gases detected on either engine
I would suggest repeating the test!

• Engine oil was analyzed at end of season (25 hrs logged on engines)
– Sodium level 29 ppm on Starboard engine
– Sodium level 56 ppm on Port engine

• Performed pressure test on exhaust manifold and riser isolated from boat's cooling system
– Starboard engine's manifolds and risers held at 20 psi
– Port engine’s manifolds have not been removed and tested yet
See below

Observations
• Both engines run good but produce white smoke.

• Mechanic put the block off gaskets between risers and elbows and re-plumbed the coolant hoses to the riser fittings.
– Mercruiser's service manual specifies the block off gaskets MUST go between the manifold and riser
I agree with how the Mechanic did this.
There is NO reason for sending "spent" seawater to the Spacer/Riser. "Spent" seawater can be directed to the Elbow ONLY, whereby it will exit via the mixing chamber.

This allows the manifold and Spacer/Riser to be within the Closed Cooling System loop.

• When starting the engines cold with the heat exchanger’s pressure caps off....
– Coolant pushes out of the heat exchangers in 60 seconds
That could be a result of the Engine Circulating pump action with a Full Closed Cooling System.

• When checking for combustion gases in the coolant with heat exchanger's pressure caps off and funnel attached....
– I noticed small bubbles (non-violate) when revving the engines. Bubbles in port engine were a little more noticeable.
If the Closed Cooling system it tight, and has been properly purged of air, you should not be seeing any bubbles.

• All 4 exhaust manifolds have water/coolant sitting in the bottom of the manifold port chambers.
This is not acceptable.

– Starboard engine's manifolds were removed,inspected & tested. I couldn't find obvious signs of a gasket failure.
Were they tested cold or warm? Many shops do not realize that these should be tested with HOT water.

– Port engine's manifolds still installed on engine but I can see water sitting inside with my borescope camera

• Starboard engine's exhaust port openings show signs of moisture and rust
– Excessive rust detected in the exhaust port openings at the exhaust crossover ports at Cylinders 4 and 5

Things left to try
• Remove port engine's exhaust manifolds to look for signs of gasket failure, rust and moisture in ports.
Wise to do!

• Remove heads and intake manifolds to look for signs of leaks. *LAST RESORT*
I would suggest that you perform a cylinder "leak-down" test prior.

Question: Does anyone have advice or personal experiences they could offer in my quest to find this coolant leak in both engines?
Take it slowly..... and use the P of E.

PS.... Ditto to what Chris suggested.

By doing this, you should notice any escaping cylinder pressure and/or exhaust gasses, and you will have eliminated any pressure due to coolant heat expansion alone.

Last edited:
To comment on some of the responses so far.......

⦁ I did pressure test the cooling system with the engine running on the starboard engine. I didn't run the engine at 2K RPM per the suggestion, but i did rev the engine multiple times. I shutdown the engine after 45 sec because I was afraid coolant would start pushing out of the heat exchanger and into my tester. During this test, the PSIs never fluctuated on the pressure gauge. I never tried this test on the Port Engine. Do you think I ran the test long enough to determine that combustion gases are not getting in the cooling system?

⦁ Per the comment that it's acceptable to put the block off gasket between the riser and exhaust elbow, why does the Mercuiser's service manual and service bulletin specifies the block off gasket must go between the exhaust manifold and riser? Does someone know the reason Mercruiser wants it done this way?

Attachments

• 5 vmercruiser service manual gasket placement.jpg
    5 vmercruiser service manual gasket placement.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 4 mercruiser bulletin gasket placement.jpg
    4 mercruiser bulletin gasket placement.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 6_manifold_riser differences.jpg
    6_manifold_riser differences.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 24
"""⦁ Per the comment that it's acceptable to put the block off gasket between the riser and exhaust elbow, why does the Mercuiser's service manual and service bulletin specifies the block off gasket must go between the exhaust manifold and riser? Does someone know the reason Mercruiser wants it done this way? """

My guess would be, Merc does not want the coolant to the riser. They want the riser cooled with fresh cold water. Having the coolant going thru the riser and out the hose may only allow one side to flow?? I dont believe the riser passages pass coolant from one side to the other??? Could be wrong on that.

Nor sure it was mentioned, but in all your previous pics of the insides, If rust is occurring that would lead me to believe fresh water is getting in.

If it were antifeeze mix I am not sure you would see the rusting. The water would evaporate and the antifreeze would be left behind.

The pressure check should be done with engine off. I would also go to 16 psi. I believe the cap is 14 psi so a couple more psi may expose an issue.

To comment on some of the responses so far.......

⦁ I did pressure test the cooling system with the engine running on the starboard engine. I didn't run the engine at 2K RPM per the suggestion, but i did rev the engine multiple times. I shutdown the engine after 45 sec because I was afraid coolant would start pushing out of the heat exchanger and into my tester. During this test, the PSIs never fluctuated on the pressure gauge. I never tried this test on the Port Engine. Do you think I ran the test long enough to determine that combustion gases are not getting in the cooling system?

⦁ Per the comment that it's acceptable to put the block off gasket between the riser and exhaust elbow, why does the Mercuiser's service manual and service bulletin specifies the block off gasket must go between the exhaust manifold and riser? Does someone know the reason Mercruiser wants it done this way?

Mercruiser has decided over the last bunch of years that it is better to have a little more heat in the exhaust elbow to help flash off condensation. Hence the turbulator gaskets installed on the newer dry joint systems.

By having the block off gasket between the riser and elbow air bubbles get trapped in three of the four sections inviting hot spots. Having the block off below the riser improves the situation by keeping the sections wet.

Back