Logo

99 yamaha four stroke25hp primer bulb keeps collapsing

humblechoice

Contributing Member
" I replaced the gas tank new

" I replaced the gas tank new gas line and filter including the fuel/water filter, however the primer bulb still collapses "

" humblechoice,

I&#

" humblechoice,

I'm wondering how the engine runs and if the bulb gets soft or actually folds in on itself. If the bulb gets soft, that's pretty normal. If it's really collapsing, my first suspect would be an issue with the tank vent. Lack of venting as the fuel leaves will create a vacume in the whole system, collapsing the weakest spots. Try running it with the cap from the tank off. Also, most tanks have a screen on the tip of the tube that picks up the fuel, in the tank. This could, in theory, become clogged.

Jon "

" If I don't take the line

" If I don't take the line off the tank , the engine will die, I have three tanks on the boat and it does it to all three, I replaced the gas line and bulb because it was doing the same thing. (I also replaced the tanks )I then push the check ball in and it releases the pressure, I put a third line on and it does the same thing, "

" Ok..
So, the tanks ar

" Ok..
So, the tanks are different; the lines and bulb are new and you are sure the vents on the tanks are open when you are running it. I can't see what's going on, and I don't doubt you competence, but be sure that you have opened the vents on the tanks. You probably know what I am talking about, but the vents can be screwed in or out, and if these are jerry jug type portable tanks, the vent is probably on the cap. Just for kicks, you could try it with the cap off.

Ok, the next two things I would suspect are going to be:

1. Assuming all lines are new, the fitting on the line, before the primer bulb that connects to the tanks (this can definitly get screwed up and clog).

2. The primer bulb is either installed backwards (this would definitly cause the same problem) or the primer bulb is defective (which definitly happens).

Jon "

" I replaced all the gas lines

" I replaced all the gas lines, primer bulb is facing in the correct direction and the vents are open,in fact I took the gas caps off and ran the engine, still does the same thing,I put on a new bulb and a new fuel connector was going to take it out today but got too hot ,

By the way thanks for responding to my problem I appreciate your help
Bill "

" humblechoice,

I have been

" humblechoice,

I have been following this post and have no clue as to the problem. I'm looking forward to finding out what the problem is.

When you said that pushing the check ball in released the pressure, I'm assuming you are talking about the check ball in the primer, on the tank side of the ball. Is this the check ball you are talking about?

Tony "

" humblechoice,

If you are

" humblechoice,

If you are referring to the check ball in the hose fitting that attatches to the tank, then I think the problem is that the tank fitting is not pushing against that check ball properly so that fuel cannot flow.

Tony "

" I was talking about the fuel

" I was talking about the fuel connector and I thaought that might be the problem so I replaced it, not---- still doing it. This morning I put the baot in shop , thaought I might let the mech see what he can come up with, will let you know the results
As always thanks for respnding to my delemma "

" Check if you got the fuel li

" Check if you got the fuel line hooked up correctly. Yamaha fuel lines have identical female fuel connectors which fit both tank-side & engine-side male connectors. However if you look closely, the tank-side fitting has the figure of a gas tank stampedon its metal release lever. "

" hey guys ,
Boat still

" hey guys ,
Boat still in shop,however mech feels that it is the fuel/water seporator causing all the problems. "

" Just had a problem like that

" Just had a problem like that on my brother-inlaw's boat, his problem was the filter in the tank was stopped up. Other problems I have seen is; Tank venting problems, hose connection problems, etc.
I'm sure Tony will have the answer for you. "

Back