Logo

Livewell Parts, Installation, Recommendations/Questions

Shesho

Hey Johnson/Evinrude Outboard Forum,

The reason for this post is to ask the community to point me in the right direction when it comes to choosing the right Livewell products and tools for my boat. I currently own a 1997 Stratos 2100 Center Console 21 Ft offshore boat and attached to this post is an image of my vessel. I believe the compartment just forward of my center console would be an ideal spot for a livewell but there is no pre-existing livewell installed. Since I am currently deployed and away from my boat, I do not have the measurements of the compartment but my intentions are to use my boat to go off-shore fishing in Texas and Florida. With that being said;

1. What products/parts do i need when it comes to installing a complete livewell system?
2. Is there an exact flow rate/gallons per hour that is specific to keep my bait alive and well when off-shore fishing?
3. Do i need to run cables through the hull of my boat to my battery and switch on my dash?
4. Would installing a small screen on the PVC pipe that sucks out the water be a good idea to help the livewell filter last for a longer period of time?

A diagram with specific instructions or a step-by-step video would be of great help. Hope to hear from you guys soon!

​​​​​​​-Shesho

thumbnail_received_953030131569965.jpg

Since you've received no reply as of yet, I'll jump in here if for no other reason, to put your post back at the top of the list. I'm a mechanic, not a boat rigger so I can't be of much help with your question... BUT... I have noticed that on boats of that type "pictured", the live-well if it exists, would be under the seat right in front of the console.

I feel sure that it's possible that there are members here who can answer your questions, but if not, check the forums on this site for one about boats instead of engines which may be a better choice.

Joereeves,

Thanks for your input. After joining a couple of friends out off-shore fishing, i've noticed that the same compartment under the seat is usually where livewell's are found but after looking in and around the edges of the compartment, i haven't found any type of pipes that would show that there was a prior livewell installed. I guess i'll have to drill some holes and modify one. I've posted my same question in a different forum that contains a lot more broader mechanical and boat-rigging topics. Thanks for your response.

-Shesho

In thinking back further, there were some others that had a live-well on the port side aft near the transom/motor well area. Yeah... if there's no pipe fittings present, you've got a project ahead of you. Wish you luck.

Back