Logo

2017-2018 Mercruiser 383 350 hp Stroker MPI Fuel in Oil Help!2017

JackA

I installed a re-manufactured 2017 Mercruiser 383 Stroker MPI Bravo 111 20 pitch in my 262 Monterey Cruiser.
Engine was direct from Mercruiser and installed by Mercruiser dealer.Complete crate engine package.
After 80 hrs of proper breakin and ideal use (no trolling- no water sports) oil pressure dropped gradually to 6 psi hot idle and rear main seal started leaking. When oil pan was off to change seal found rod bearings worn.
Under warrranty a brand new complete 2018 same Engine was installed. Ran excellent for 100 hrs. Oil pressure gradually reduced to 15 psi hot idle. No other issues ran great all season.

2017 Engine Oil Analysis showed alarms of 11% fuel dilution and metal particles and silicon.
It was felt the oil dilution caused the rod failure and low oil pressure.
Now 2018 engine oil Analysis shows Same Fuel Dilution and metal particles and high silicon.
It appears the 2018 engine will soon have same fate.

Any one out there having same oil dilution problems with Non Catalitic 5.0/5.7/6.2/6.3 remanufactured factory MPI or even carb engines.

It is suspected the engine is running too rich and not warming up enough. This 383 Stroker MPI runs a 160f
thermostat and no oil cooler. I run Mercruiser 25W40 Synthetic blend oil as per manufactures specs.

Please let me know if anyone else is having same issue.

running rich can be too large of an injector, too long an injector pulse or leaking injectors, MAP sensor ,

Last edited:
The replacement was a complete engine everything including starter alternator just drop in.
The hope was that what ever problem caused rod bearing failure would not show up in second 2018 engine.
What ever is happening seems to be happening to these engines right from the factory.
The only apparent cause of damage is fuel dilution of oil. Scans and temp readings say all is OK?
Not sure what is causing this but breakin was according to Mercruiser manual. Fuel dilution was showing up at 20 hr oil sample /change after breakin. At 100 hrs sample was same as breakin 22 hr sample.
Thanks

Back