Logo

Volvo penta DP-SM sterndrive installation

northstar

Hi,

I could't find a page for volvo penta sterndrives but I think this DP-SM originates from a OMC cobra sterndrive?

When I removed the sterndrive there was alot of water inside the universal joint bellow.

I am wondering what is keeping the water on the outside of the universal joint bellow as it didn't seem like there were any sealing compound or sealing between the drive and the housing. I suppose the upper bearing housing on the drive is pushing against the bellow but that feels a little unsafe.

In the workshop manual it is stated;
Inspect molded rubber seal ring for proper fit in its groove.
Inspect and lightly lubricate universal bellows lip with volvo penta grease.

Is the "molded rubber seal ring" not part of the bellow?
molded rubber ring.jpg

That is how it seals, the bearing carrier pushes against the rubber lip. On the Cobra I coat both with OMC/Evinrude triple guard grease. This design (Cobra & SX) have a groove in the flange on the gimble housing and there is a rib on the inner edge of the bellows; when you slide the bellows over the flange the rib must go into that groove or else it may not seal.
i changed mine back in ‘16 and no leaks.

Hi,

I could't find a page for volvo penta sterndrives but I think this DP-SM originates from a OMC cobra sterndrive?
The OMC Cobra is a Dog Clutch engagement drive. OMC stopped production by the end of 1993.
In 1994, Volvo Penta now owned the company.
The Volvo Penta DP-SM is a cone clutch engagement drive.
The drive may look similar, but much of it is a re-design..... with CC gear engagement via the upper gear unit..... and with no Dog Clutch in the lower gear unit.

In the workshop manual it is stated;
Inspect molded rubber seal ring for proper fit in its groove.
Inspect and lightly lubricate universal bellows lip with volvo penta grease.
You can also use QuickSilver "Perfect Seal".

Cobra bellows pivot housing end.jpgCobra bellows ridge.jpgCobra bellows asymetric design.jpg

OK here are some Cobra bellows pix so you can see what I'm talking about. The first pic is the end of it that comes through the pivot housing where the drive bolts on, this must be properly pulled through and fitted in the pivot opening, soapy water helps to get it in. Then you coat that inner ring that the bearing carrier (and the carrier) with triple guard grease. Second pic is the end that fits over the gimble housing flange. The flange has a groove in it and that ridge you see on the sealing surface, has to fit into the groove. The screw for the clamp should be positioned between 1:00-2:00 o'clock position. Last pic shows the asymmetric nature of the bellows, with 7 folds on bottom 6 on top. The 7 folds side should go to the bottom, this allows it to stretch without cracking. Now while this is an OMC Cobra bellows, keep in mind that the Cobra and the SX used the same bellows same part number until Volvo recently re-designed it.

Back