Logo

New member here.

Oldvolvoowner

Hi everyone. I have an old 1958 Skagit with two Volvo-Penta outdrives. I would like to find out the model and ID of these motors. Thanks in advance.DSCN0907.jpgDSCN0905.JPG

Welcome to the forum...

It would help if we could see some info from name/data plates. The drives appear to be 100 series drives. A photo of the right hand side would help ID.
Engine HP likely in the 80 HP area. Check to see if the oil cooler is a jacket/can cover over an off-the-shelf oil filter, i.e. sea water is circulated around the outside of the oil filter to cool oil ...or... if the engine has a horizontally mounted cast cylinder with water and oil line in/out. Also a photo of the exhaust outlet setup.

BTW.... the engine compartment bilge blower seems to have been installed in a "very creative" way, not likely to be looked upon favorably by the USCG... even if it still works.

Rick will likely post telling you that parts for the drives are almost impossible to find, especially the "universal joint". He is correct.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. Not sure what to look for and it's tight in the engine compartment. There are a couple of horizontal cylinders about halfway back on the right side if each engine. Don't know if those are the oil filters or no. The outdrives are marked Model PZ NR and PZ. I will try to find some other markings on the engines. Where would the ID numbers be? Thanks in advance.

This is simply a guess.........

1958 Volvo PV444 B16Bs that have been Marinized.

Once into the 200 series, the "PZNR" preceded the Volvo Penta drive model number.
The final drive reduction was an Alpha Character designation.

AQ series PZNR tag.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. Not sure what to look for and it's tight in the engine compartment. There are a couple of horizontal cylinders about halfway back on the right side if each engine. Don't know if those are the oil filters or no. The outdrives are marked Model PZ NR and PZ. I will try to find some other markings on the engines. Where would the ID numbers be? Thanks in advance.

Photo please....BTW to avoid confusion refer to the side of the engine as port or starboard.

Back