Logo

M18E2 Prop question

Jupiter Dinghy

Regular Contributor
I absolutely love my newly acquired M18E2. What a difference in torque and quietness with my older 15hp OMC... and with only about 13 pounds more in weight!
There is one thing about these motors (and I had read this here before I believe or on iboat) they are NOT trollers. Which is fine with me as do not have any trolling need, but I can tell it likes to go every time I hit an idle zone. The ride is not nearly as smooth under 22/2300 RPM's as it is beyond that mark.
As a result, I was thinking re-propping it with a four blades prop (same pitch as the stock 3).
The reasoning behind this was to gain a bit more "smoothness" at idle speed, even if I loose a bit of top speed, as it almost has too much of that for my inflatable anyway, I rarely take it above 4500/4700 RPM's max.

Has anyone here ever experienced a 4 prop blade switch on this motor, or heard any feedback from someone who did?
Just curious to hear whether or not it would corroborate my thinking above, before going ahead with the plan...

There are a variety of factory props available, including a 4-blade 7 pitch high thrust prop.

Back