Logo

Johnson 15hp four stroke wont start ( bad timing?? )

redbay84

Got an early Johnson four stroke 15hp off a mate.

Not a bad looking engine but it refuses to start.

It was one he bought but couldn't get running.

All that it does is give the occasional big sneeze out the carb after pulling it.

Here's what I've tried...

1. Checked timing belt. pretty sure on these that the timing is Cam sprocket mark lined up with extrusion on pull start mount and the crank at the split on the port side ( 270 degrees if looking down from the pull start)

Found it to be a tooth out so took belt off and refitted.

2. Checked plug wires if they were the wrong way round. No sneeze out of carb but would not start.

3. checked spark with plug out, definately there as its sneezing occasionally.

Plug wires are in pretty bad shape so could do with replacing. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Could be a bent valve?

Plugs both fire at the same time.----So plug wires can be reversed as it does not matter.-----Recheck the belt timing with a manual.

Have you checked valve clearance ?-----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more, yes or no ?------Ignition parts are big money items.

Have you checked valve clearance ?-----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more, yes or no ?------Ignition parts are big money items.

I'll need to get some feeler gauges for that. I know it has spark visually checked and with the sneeze.

I'll invest in a compression tester too as I think that will where we go next.

Cheers Racer

I honestly thought all johnsons timing work off the timer base that's slotted to the key on the crankshaft which position all the piston in the right firing order & timer base is also link to the accelerator linkage which tells it to increase or decrease the ignition.

I honestly thought all johnsons timing work off the timer base that's slotted to the key on the crankshaft which position all the piston in the right firing order & timer base is also link to the accelerator linkage which tells it to increase or decrease the ignition.

I think thats the later 4 stroke models that have the linkage.

Fishhawk-----What do you mean by ----"the timer base that's slotted to the key on the crankshaft "-------You have confused me with that statement.-------And on the 4 stroke motor in this thread both sparkplugs fire at the same time !

2 pieces of wire glued / stapled / taped on a piece of wood.-----3/8" gap between them.------One end grounded to the block.----Other end stuck into the plug boot.

I learned how to test MAXIMUM magneto output about 50 years ago.---------I use a spark checker with 4 gaps adjustable from 5/16" to 1/2"--------Laying plugs on the block is not a proper test.

I use a spark checker with 4 gaps adjustable from 5/16" to 1/2"--------Laying plugs on the block is not a proper test.
Exactly. When I'm testing spark I like to remove the plug so I can see if the charge reaches the plug. If you have a bad plug that can give you a false reading. A properly grounded air gap tester set a the correct gap will tell you exactly if you are getting good spark.

Back