Logo

2000 johnson 50hp issues

slimfishin

I have a 2000 johnson 50hp that I assumed had a carb issue so I rebuilt them like I have done in the past but no luck. Carbs seem spotless. Everything works perfect up to about 2500rpm then boggs down. Disconnected heat sensor and still same problem, fresh fuel and water pump. I thought "slow mode" from what I've read online, however if I choke the top carb with my hand it'll rev up over 2500 but drops strait back down when removed. This only happen when in water and in gear. Any help is appreciated, this motor has been used and abused but well maintained if that makes sense.

already did 128 and 125, sparks good and new plugs, removed vro a few years back and went with regular pump. I did have an issue with a lot of water in my gas prior to this issue, (bad gas from gas station) enough to where the boat stalled out and I had to dump the tank. Didn't think to much of it, but problems started shortly after, coincidence. Not sure what all that would mess up internally?

What happens if.you.pump the primer ball while this.is.happening? When was the last time the carbs were serviced. Do.you have an inline fuel filter?

Did you remove the high speed jet ( orifice plug ) from the very bottom of the float bowl.-----I would say it is blocked in the top carburetor.

found a few wires that were rubbed down to copper, got those fixed. cleaned carbs again and thats when i noticed i must have forgotten to put the little circle seal that goes between the bowl and main housing around the high speed jet. still not sure why it was originally giving me problems since it wasnt running right prior to the carb rebuild? Anyhow with all new fuel lines, rebuilt pump, twice cleaned carbs, cleaned electric connectors and new wires, she back to running great again.

That gasket goes around the NOZZLE.---------The high speed ( fuel metering ) jet is screwed into the very bottom of the float bowl.

Back