Logo

Engine not firing

bigge31566

I have a 1999 Johnson 90 hp model J90PLEEB and tried cranking boat today but its not firing on any cylinders, ran good last time tried in yard

So turning the key engages the starter and turns then engine over but it does not fire? No sputtering, coughing, or anything?

If that's the case, have you checked the battery voltage? Maybe it's low and isn't spinning quite fast enough to energize the ignition system.

Are you pushing in the key to us the primer to richen the engine before trying to start?

How about the fuel primer bulb? Is it firm to ensure the vapor tank and carb float bowls are full of fuel?

I know these seem like simple, obvious questions but let's confirm the easy stuff before moving on to diagnosing electrical and ignition systems.

KJ

So turning the key engages the starter and turns then engine over but it does not fire? No sputtering, coughing, or anything?

If that's the case, have you checked the battery voltage? Maybe it's low and isn't spinning quite fast enough to energize the ignition system.

Are you pushing in the key to us the primer to richen the engine before trying to start?

How about the fuel primer bulb? Is it firm to ensure the vapor tank and carb float bowls are full of fuel?

I know these seem like simple, obvious questions but let's confirm the easy stuff before moving on to diagnosing electrical and ignition systems.

KJ

Engine turns good but no fire checking with with ignition spark tester

i assume u already did spark test since u mention not firing on any cylinders. my suggestion is pull the cylinder head & see if it's flooded. also while ur in head check for piston play & measure the bore & check the book for within specification. these engine runs on oil starvation causing extreme heat & cylinder expansion especially if used for high performance & no 25:1 fuel mixture. Dont waste time on compression test it can be very misleading. I had 2 cylinders ring end gap out by .024 thou & was still getting 110 psi on a compression test.

Back