Logo

Alarm on 2013 Yamaha 4 stroke efi outboard

Hello

I have a 2013 Yamaha 4 stroke efi outboard on my 5.0 Seafarer Venus.

I have only had the boat a few weeks. When I first took it out with three other people when I try to put her on the plane the alarm went off as the boat was just about to drop the nose and come onto the plane. I thought it was a dirty fuel filter and got a full service done (replaced oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, anode etc.)

I did some big trips with just one mate and had no issues. Jumped on the plane easy and no alarm. I went out on Saturday with two mates and it was a dead flat day and it worked fine. On Sunday it was a bit rougher and took longer to get on the plane and the alarm went off at the same point (When the stern digs deep and the bow rides high right before it jumps up on the plane). It didn't enter limp mode, it just had an alarm go off. The alarm is a constant alarm, not beeping. I turned the motor off and restarted it and it operated fine. I drove down wind and got it on the plane and it had no issues. When I tried again the alarm went off again. I dropped my mate off at the ramp and drove and without his weight the boat jumped on the plane a couple of seconds quicker and no alarm. As a test I purposely drove it poorly trying to get the bow as high as possible and the stern to dig and the alarm goes off even with just me in the boat. The alarm seems to only go off when the motor is at a certain angle.

I came home and checked the oil level, the fuel seperator in the boat and the fuel filter on the motor and all seemed fine. The tell tale seemed very cool as well on the water. The motor is slightly oversized for the boat so the bottom of the back of the cowling does dip in the water a bit at this angle.

My dad is pretty cluey about these things and said it might be an oxy sensor due to water coming up the exhaust and confusing the sensor? Also we seemed to use more fuel than I expected for the trip we did?

Anyone have any ideas would this alarm might be and what causes it?
Also the obvious thing would be to see a mechanic. I live in a remote place where there's no mechanics with computers for 4 strokes and they're dodgy mechanics so please don't suggest that.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Nick

I think (that) o2 feedback sensor is no.

do you have a yamaha scanner? it fault code remains on ECU.

it is not expensive. U can buy on ebay. just about 70 $

I think (that) o2 feedback sensor is no.

do you have a yamaha scanner? it fault code remains on ECU.

it is not expensive. U can buy on ebay. just about 70 $

Thanks Kim.

I think I'll have to buy a scanner myself and check what it is. I think it must be water getting into the fuel somehow or that oxy sensor. But I appreciate the advice that the oxy sensor is unlikely. That helps me a bit.
Thanks for replying. I appreciate the help!

Nick

What is the complete model of the motor? There are many different EFI models. Begins with the letter F.

Tell Pops that he needs to go back to school. There are no Yamaha four strokes of any models that use an oxygen sensor. Only a few two stroke models did.

There are only two things that will normally sound the alarm. Low oil pressure and over temperature. The RPM reduction mode will also be set. A continuous tone will be heard.

There are certain four stroke models that use a fuel in warning system. Normally, it will beep (as opposed to a continuous tone) but generally only when the throttle handle is in neutral. If the motor is shifted into gear the alarm will disappear.

Some models will sound the alarm if and when there is a low voltage to the motor.

Back