Logo

Honda 225 cowling latch stuck open

surfnfisher

Contributing Member
Rear Cowling latch is stuck open. So the result is rear starboard
cowling not seating. I sprayed it with pb blaster and tried to mess with it with a angled pick. That is in a tough spot.
Is the only way to work it open and closed to take off lower cowling? Or does anyone have a trick?
Thanks

Not sure what you mean by "stuck open." Are you talking about the engine cover? If stuck open, it seems like you should be able to activate the latch mechanism on the front of the engine and pull the cover up and off.

The upper cowling, the parts that the engine cover sits on, doesn't have any latches unless something non-oem has been installed.

Yes... mine stick all the time even after spraying and lubing them up. Probably just a bit of corrosion. Before you put the cowl on, be sure the front lever is retracted into its "home" position. You can see this by pulling / pushing the front latch/lever. Even though it may seem the front latch comes back to its "home" position it may not be pulling the cables completely closed. You may have to take that small black electrical snap-off cover off to do so, I cant' remember. Clean and grease the mechanism up, but more importantly make sure its coming to rest in the home position, it needs to snap back.

With the cover off, make sure the rear levers on either side of the cowl are snapping back to position, they should be spring loaded to close. I test them with my finger to be sure they snap close. Look in the holes and they should be covers about 1/2 to a 1/3 of the hole. Put the cover on and push down on the rear sections until you hear it latch. When you get time, you may want to trace out the cables and adjust. From memory there is a turnbuckle on the right side of the motor when facing the front of the engine. Takes longer to get at everything because you have to take the lower covers off or out of the way. Go through it, make sure cable is tight and everything clean and lubed up. The front mechanism is the key in all this. Adjust the cowl latch depth as necessary.

Good luck!

Okay , I am talking about the rear lever starboard locking mechanism. When I look into the hole the locking lever is not there. So it is stuck in the open position. The “trick”would be some tool that can get ahold of the lever from the hole and work it closed. Not sure it’s really in an awkward spot. The port is reachable nex to the starter.
My rear cowling won’t seat because of this. So here I am. Guess it’s take the upper cowling off to get it.

OK, understand. You must remove the upper cowling on that side of the engine. The locking mechanism is driven by a spring-loaded locking arm that the cables are attached to. Either a cable has come disconnected or broken, or the spring on the locking arm is broken. If you have the Helm shop manual, see pages 4-11 to 4-14.

See parts 15, 17, 23 on this diagram.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...nd-later/front-cover-bracket-front-lock-shaft

Back