Logo

Penta 280 shift cable sleeve leak

805HD

Regular Contributor
Got a buddy with a 1983 Eliminator, it’s got a Penta 280 drive. He’s has a leak coming from the shift cable sleeve. Can’t seem to find much information online as far as replacement goes..

how complicated is this job?

would really like to help him out and give his bilge pump a break haha

thanks in advance! 🍻

Got a buddy with a 1983 Eliminator, it’s got a Volvo Penta 280 drive. He’s has a leak coming from the shift cable sleeve. Can’t seem to find much information online as far as replacement goes..

how complicated is this job?

Ok.... as you know, the actual shift cable penetrates the transom shield via a rubber sheathe (actually a rubber hose).
This sheathe attaches to a special fitting that is threaded into the lower area of the transom shield.
The sheathe is secured to the fitting with a crimp sleeve that is made from thin plated carbon steel.
These sleeves rust/corrode and loose their grip on the fitting, causing the sheathe to leak around the fitting.

It is highly unlikely that you would be able to remove this fitting..... so my advice would be.....
DO NOT attempt to remove it.
Instead, find a way to cut/remove what's left of the crimp sleeve. I use a small sharp chisel.
Remove the sheathe from the fitting, and cut 1" or so from it to renew the fit.

When you slide the sheathe back onto the fitting, it will now fit more tightly.
I would secure it with a proper size Euro style band clamp.................. not a conventional worm drive band clamp that will have cuts in the band for the worm drive screw!

Remember to clamp/secure the upper end of the sheathe well above the water line!

Euro style hose clamp 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ricardo!

I’ll look into this. Thanks for the advice. The upper end of the sheath is above the water line but that’s where the water is coming out of. As in the entire sheath is filling with water. Idk if that make a difference in your diagnosis or not.??

The only way that water could come out of the engine bay side (end) of the sheathe, would be if it was NOT substantially above the water line!

Back