Logo

7.5 mercury timing problems

darrell87

Hey guys..i have asked questions about this motor on here before quite a long time ago..it has spent a lot of time sitting in the corner of my shop now thinking about what it has done wrong lol..finally after a few months i got it back on the bench..here is what has been done in short form

Originally had poor spark..
Replaced all corroded wires on engine,
Cleaned/set points
Replaced plugs with known good plugs
Got proper spark..

Engine failed leakdown testing and compression testing..
Tore motor down,
Replaced crank seals,
Replaced piston rings,
Cyl and pistons still in good shape,
Passes leakdown and compression tests..

Cleaned and rebuilt carb..

I am now having a problem that i have never had before, i can not get this engine to time properly according to the instructions i have found..

According to the instructions i have found taken from JustAnswer.com..

Welcome to JustAnswer.

Here is the procedure to check/set timing on your Merc 75 engine.

Shift into FWD gear, and remove spark plugs.

Install Dial indicator in #1 spark plug hole.( if twin cyl,top cyl)

Rotate fly wheel slowly clockwise to locate TDC(top dead center)

Once found, reset dial indicator to 0 .

connect one lead of ohm meter to white contact lead of point set for #1 cyl.
connect other meter lead to a good ground on engine.

slowly rotate flywheel counterclockwise until you reach .193 BTDC

Advance throttle to wide open.
In this position, adjust max advance stop screw until ohmmeter indicates points just opened.

Now, slowly rotate flywheel clockwise until dial meter indicates the piston is at .002 ATDC.(Actual Top Dead Center)

throttle down via tiller handle twist grip until the ohm meter shows the points just open.
at this point the throttle lever should barely make contact with ignition cam.

Previous to this make sure point gap is .020 and that contacts are clean and fee of any grease / moisture.

Hope this helps
Thanks
Steve Sr

Can anyone confirm these steps as correct?

When i attept this procedure my ohm meter reads the points as always open. As i understand this when doing this the points should be closed until after you have taken the engine to .193 BTDC and opened the throttle, however mine for some reason are always open during this..

Is there something i am missing?

Does anyone have any tips or tricks with the point setting/timing setting on this motor?

Any ideas or suggestions will be certainly welcomed as i am completely lost for ideas on this one..

Thanks in advance!

Darrell.

Try setting the points at 0.020 inches and running it. I think you're over analyzing the situation.

Jeff

Back