Logo

8rcob 1985 8 hp electrical problem

The plug wasn't tight enough. There was only an occasional miss this time, especially after using a different plug wire. Should have gotten new ones. Tin
M, I will keep you up to date.

I put 2 new plug wires on and it ran great for 45 minutes or so. After 20 minutes running at 2/3 throttle it cut out 3x in 5 minutes like it was going to quit but took off again. The filter bowl didn' have any dirt or water in it. It doesn't have bad coil symptoms from what I read. It went 10 minutes more at high speed with no more trouble.

Its probably just because there are lots of stupid guys like me on here to pick on, Racer is like a kid in a candy store. Mr Scott quit we need someone to step up to the task. Sterndrive has got the Ghost, we need someone like him here on Johnson/Evinrude.

Last edited:
Now, don't beat yourself up Tim... you're not stupid by a long shot. You've been a member since June of 2013 and have contributed heavily. Others will come in time I'm sure, and some who have left for one reason or another may be back.

I myself left awhile back due to what I thought was age resulting in a brain problem... but apparently a mind fluke was mainly caused by some medication, and since that was corrected... well, I don't think of making entries such as rod caps being held on by cotter pins, that type of thing anymore. So I chanced coming back as I missed the site and the members.

Some who have left since I came aboard... had no choice, and will not be back. Others... I'd like to see them here once again.

I remember a few years ago you were having trouble reading and asked that text lines be double spaced. I thought "what is going on with Joe". I am so happy you are still here. This is such a great job, being here only to help others and work with friends such as our fellow techs, whom we have never met. Are we really who we seem to be? Love Mark Twain quote: "I gotta tell, the truth......with MY memory, I'll forget what I said".

I talked with the CDI tech and believe the older female plug shrank and also the two plug ends are pushing against each other. He said it doesn"t happen very often. He suggested pulling the pins and using the old plug. They came out easy but even after running a drill bit by hand through the holes the pins are still don't want to go through with alcohol on them. Is there a drill bit size I can use without getting them too loose? He said grease makes it harder to come apart.

I was still having carb fuel flow problems even with a new Mercury water/dirt separator. Switched to the big canister and so far so good.

How about trying silicone to get them together? Alcohol is probably too dry and offering no lubrication. Dielectric grease is available at your auto parts store too. Then you can use it on your spark plug boots and other electrical connections as well. It offers excellent conductivity, oxidation protection, as well as ease of installation.

The misses stopped but no power. It revs up at idle an in reverse but not forward. Cleaned main jet but it didn't help.

It is hard to believe 5 out of 6 coils were bad or going bad but I am going to order two new ones.
The other coil off my 30 hp took care of the dead cylinder but the miss is still there.

Tim guy. It was a coil problem like you suggested. It stopped missing after putting new coils on. I ran it for 2 hrs and it only had a couple of light pops at lower speed. Looks like it is back to normal so far.

Do you mean my post #49? I just kept trying things until I ran out of ideas. So we can "put this thing to bed"?........almost a record, 77 posts........can't you find something else wrong with it?

Last edited:
I've discussed this unfortunate troublesome engine thoroughly with my associates... and after seventy some entries, we have come to the conclusion that it's broke, a non repairable item, a bad dream.

O, Joe, for an appropriate sum, ba_50 can take off the cowling.....I will ship him MY 8 horse, and he can put HIS cowling on it, and call it a FIX.

Back