Logo

The importance of a clean IAC

metal-chicken

Regular Contributor
My boat has been sitting at the house for about 7 weeks and I've not yet got round to winterising it (we went away for some fun in the sun!) so today I moved it into the barn and ran the [2007] 225 in a large tank (a 1000L IBC with the top chopped off) of fresh water to give it a flush.

Everything was fine although after about 10 minutes of idling I noticed the old fluctuation of RPM that I've noticed since we got the engine.

Just for kicks I pulled the IAC and sure enough the mesh was a bit cruddy and black so I shot carb cleaner into it and gave it a good shake. Satisfyingly black fluid came out when I emptied it so I did it again, blew it out with the air line and fitted it back onto the 225.
I fired it back up and immediately the rpm fluctuation was gone at idle and remained that way for a further 10 minutes until I shut it down again.

The moral of this story is to regularly pull the IAC and give it a clean!

(I cleaned the IAC mesh last winter but didn't really have a go at cleaning out the inside of the valve which I presume you need to do - I may even do it again before I put her to bed for the winter!)

Thank you for the detail. I thought that gizmo was the IAC but didn't want to play with it. I noticed the low RPM surge before I put it away. I'll put the IAC cleaning on the list. Thanks.

While your at it, also clean the flame arrester screen - item #6 in that graphic. They can get gummed up. Not sure what the consequences are if they do, but I like to keep things in that area as clean as I can,.

Yes clean IAC works wonders.My engine used to fire up (after prolonged time unused) and die.
On the second crank it would fire up for good but since I cleaned the IAC it fires up on the first crank every time.

Back