Logo

1998 Bass Tracker Question

Richwon4

I just aquire a 98 Tracker Boat, Motor, and Trailer in excellent Shape. I took it out today for a run around the lake.
My Question:
No Electronics On when this kept happening.
A very loud constant high pitched constant beep/ buzz occurred until I shutdown. I would later resume until it happened again. It was seemingly random?

Anu explanations?

Most of us will say----" Install a new impeller on a new purchase "-----Perhaps run to a shop to see if motor overheated !

The noise you heard was the overheat buzzer.
Change the impeller.
Never run the motor without a hose attached or the
lower unit in a bucket.
The lower unit needs to be 3-4" deep in the water and over the cavitation plate or it might not
pickup water to cool the motor.

Get a set of muffs for running without being in the water.

Change the impeller.
lower unit in a bucket.
The lower unit needs to be 3-4" deep in the water and over the cavitation plate or it might not

Get a set of muffs for running without being in the water.[/QUOTED]

I appreciate the specific answer. I have an impeller ordered.

Change the impeller.
lower unit in a bucket.

Get a set of muffs for running without being in the water.[/QUOTED]

I appreciate the specific answer. I have an impeller ordered.

Impeller looks great...doesn't seem to be the issue...is there a warning sensor on these that may be going out?

Are the vanes on the impeller straight out from the hub or are they curved?
Straight: OK
Curved: BAD they've set and won't work as well as an impeller with the vanes straight.

You remove the thermo?
Any build up on the thermo?
Pics?

The vanes were curved...but still firm in the housing and flexible.
The Therm did have some crud on it...I soaked it, scrubbed it thoroughly, soaked it again and it is functioning in hot water quite well.
I hope this helps answer your questions...

May not be overheating at all. The buzzer may be working outside recommended parameters. Go get a temp gun at Harbor Freight....or on line, they are about 25 bucks. Once you determine the operating temp while shooting at the sending unit, let us know. Then you can use this gadget to check all kind of fun things.....just use your imagination. That last thing you'll ever use it for is what you SHOULD be using it for.

May not be overheating at all. The buzzer may be working outside recommended parameters. Go get a temp gun at Harbor Freight....or on line, they are about 25 bucks. Once you determine the operating temp while shooting at the sending unit, let us know. Then you can use this gadget to check all kind of fun things.....just guse your imagination. That last thing you'll ever use it for is what you SHOULD be using it for.

What an I supposed to shoot with the temp gun? And what temp should it be reading? Thanks

Look for the thermostat and shoot it.....should be about 140 f. Or shoot the sending unit with close proximity to the top end of cylinder.....this motor has no heads, they are integral with the block. That cover is actually the water jacket. Should be a similar temp, not familiar with this exact motor.....may have missed the model details. Info from other techs requested. I am just using generalized procedure. My gun is an Ames infrared 12:1using 630-670nm wavelength.

Last edited:
Shoot the whole engine.
Mainly around the top of the cylinders and where the water passages flow.

The thermo is a 130d that means it opens at 130d
The temp sending unit should activate the buzzer at about 140-150d
Past 145-150 HOT!!

The Forces have heads.
They never used the blind cyl.

Thanks, Jerry. Only worked on a few of them over the years....but I have changed impellers in them before, enjoyed working on them. Weren't some Forces blind cylinders?

Last edited:
Back