Logo

steering backwards

manning

I have a marlin 1982 24ft 5.7 with stringer omc800 outdrive. I replaced the lower unit and now steering is backwards. What is the easiest way to fix this? I also have the power steering set up off a 5.0 engine Should i put the power steering on or fix the steering.

This is manning. About the last post it was the upper unit not the lower unit and i found out they have a rt. hand and a left hand worm gear. What all do i need to put a power assist unit on my boat. I have the intermediate housing with everything on it and a power steering pump.

Ayuh,..... Wish I could help ya, but I know little 'bout stringer drives,....

I know 'nough 'bout 'em to yank 'em, 'n put in Mercruisers, into hulls worthy of the investment,......

I also know little to nothing about the old stringer drives, except to suggest that we steer clear of them....... or remove one altogether and go with an AQ series Volvo Penta drive....... not a Merc Dog Clutch drive!

(I’m yanking Bills chain a bit) :D

it's easy enough to just swap the steering worm and segment from the old drive into the upper gearbox. Don't even need to fully remove the drive from the boat.

Back