Logo

Can I use a Honda Odyssey Oxygen sensor in my Honda BF250 ?

grey2112

Contributing Member
So, after a lot of troubleshooting it appears I have a bad O2 sensor. I'm on the opinion that it may be partially caused by the idiots/cheapskates at the dealer I bought the Honda from brand new, who had been doing my service for 4 years. About 2 years ago (about 400 hours) I told them to replace all 6 spark plugs with Iridiums. I found out about 2 months ago that they had actually replaced only 2 of them with Iridiums and either didn't replace the other 4 at all, or just used regular plugs.

Regardless, my question is:

Is there any particular reason to go with the $180 Honda OEM Marine O2 sensor, or could I use a comparable year Honda Odyssey (I believe that is the same engine block, correct?) one that is around $30 ?

I've got to wonder, though, if the marine engine O2 sensor has different settings/sensor algorithms due to operational nature (lots of zero-WOT use) of a marine engine vs. a car engine.

I replied to your e-mail.

I doubt if the Odyssey HO2 will work properly. The ECU would likely react differently then it should. Not long ago one of the Brits on this forum purchased an NGK replacement that he said seemed to work properly. NGK part number 932-24008. But that was for the BF 225.

Chawk man's right, if the part number is not the same then it will not work.BF250s don't seem to go through O2 sensors like the 225s did so I would just use the genuine part. Iridium's I have found make a difference too, I assume you are using NGK. IZFR6K-11

Back