Logo

Bunk height?

jobe05

Where I put my boat in, the water level isn't that deep and I have a hard time getting the boat (15' Aluminum flat bottom Grumman) off and on the trailer. I noticed the bunks are attached with adjustable brackets that hold the bunks up off the frame about an inch or so. Before making any changes, I just looked at pictures on line of other set ups like mine and all the bunks I see are also raised up. Does it matter? can I lower the brackets so the bunks sit right on the frame?

Does it matter? can I lower the brackets so the bunks sit right on the frame?

Ayuh,..... That depends,..... Many times, when set to low, the axle hits the hull at bumps,.....

Correct. You need to look at the axle travel and make sure it cannot contact the hull when the springs are fully compressed.

Where you launch your boat, is it just not deep enough at all or is just not deep as far back as you can get your tow vehicle? If there is deeper water further down the ramp you could have a fabrication shop add an extension to the trailer tongue. That would keep your tow vehicle out of the water but get the trailer deep enough to float the boat.

Im looking at this again as the boat just seems to sit up high on the trailer. The 2 bunks are 2x3 with the 3" standing upright, so the boat is 3 inches off the frame of the trailer. I see that ShorelandR has a bracket that I can buy that I can lay the 2x3 on it side, and right on the frame of the trailer. right now, the bracket keeps the bunks off the frame about and inch and a half. lowering the boat a little lower, still above the frame, but lower. I would be well away from the Axle so that not even an issue, with the exception that I just ordered a new axle for it. The old owner must have liked running over tree stumps or something, its all bent out of shape. The next thing to work out is what to do with the front bunk?... Sorry for the sideways pics, its how they came out.

IMG_3111.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3114.jpg
    IMG_3114.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 54
Back