Logo

85 Javelin temp gauge

Bush traveler

G’day everyone. Just joined and my first post. I have a 85 Javelin which by the way is in good condition. I’m wondering if one could put a temp gauge on the motor instead of relying on water coming from jets at the back.
Thank you

Never heard of a Javelin in the USA. I Google images and it looks like it is a Johnson 115hp from the early 1980's? Anyhow, to answer your question, I always put temperature gage and water pressure gage on all my engines, 1990's Johnson 25hp's (2), 115hp (2) Johnson and Yamaha. I like to know what is going on before it overheats. I have a friends boat that I am working on now as a favor, and it has no temp or wp gages. I do not feel comfortable going out on the boat without those gages, without those gages I do not feel confident in the engine.

Last edited:
G’day everyone. Just joined and my first post. I have a 85 Javelin which by the way is in good condition. I’m wondering if one could put a temp gauge on the motor instead of relying on water coming from jets at the back. Thank you

A Johnson Javelin from many years past... good design. Yes, temperature gauges are readily available via your dealership, no doubt this site, marine type stores, etc. A "Z" or "L" looking bracket attaches to one of the head bolts and the sensor simply screws into it. It's best to keep the base of the sensor .010 away from the cylinder head metal so as to avoid a false reading. If I can find that picture of the setup, I'll get back to you.

Is the 85 Javelin a boat or a motor ???----A model # of the motor is needed.------Or pictures , pictures.------I have a 1980 Javelin 100 hp but can not recall a 1985 model marketed.

A Johnson Javelin from many years past... good design. Yes, temperature gauges are readily available via your dealership, no doubt this site, marine type stores, etc. A "Z" or "L" looking bracket attaches to one of the head bolts and the sensor simply screws into it. It's best to keep the base of the sensor .010 away from the cylinder head metal so as to avoid a false reading. If I can find that picture of the setup, I'll get back to you.

Thank you. That will be great I appreciate that

There'ya go! :)
172843122787-1.jpg

Never heard of a Javelin in the USA. I Google images and it looks like it is a Johnson 115hp from the early 1980's? Anyhow, to answer your question, I always put temperature gage and water pressure gage on all my engines, 1990's Johnson 25hp's (2), 115hp (2) Johnson and Yamaha. I like to know what is going on before it overheats. I have a friends boat that I am working on now as a favor, and it has no temp or wp gages. I do not feel comfortable going out on the boat without those gages, without those gages I do not feel confident in the engine.[/QU

Thank you so much for your answer Much appreciate it

Back