Logo

Low idle peoblem

Skullboater

I have a 1996 Evinrude E200TXECM that I am having low idle problems with. It cranks and idles in neutral, but when you go to take of , it stalls. You have to very slowly get to 1/4 throttle and then give it all the throttle and back off. Also it is hard to trailer because it keeps dying while at slow speed to trailer. Any Ideas?
Have new fuel pump on it and all new fuel lines and filter.
Let me rephrase this, when I put it in gear the motor dies and it takes several attempts to get it going so that I can reach a reasonable speed.

Last edited:
A 2 stroke motor is just a 2 stage air processing pump.-----OK there is a bit more to it.-----But at idle there is more time for air to leak.-----I would start with a compression test.----Then make sure you have strong spark on all the leads.

Did the problem come on slowly? Or did it happen after storage or some other noteworthy event? Do you use ethanol 10 percent fuel? Ouch if you do! Did you know that a 10% ethanol fuel only gives you 96 to 97% power as that of pure gasoline, and that begins to go even lower as months go by....as the fuel ages. There should be an expiration date on it like donuts and milk.

Last edited:
I can check the spark, but what is considered a strong spark. I have the compression numbers on the block, I will post them tomorrow.. As I said to someone else, the motor sat up for a couple of years.

Okay, try this before you do the carbs. Amsoil makes a truly incredible product called Quick Shot. It will dissolve the crap in your carbs and burn it with the fuel.....maybe......I'll give it better than 50/50 odds. Mix it at full strength or a little better and use Non Oxy fuel. Take that other crap ethanol out and burn it up in your car or truck. Why take apart a carb set if its only shellac or partially plugged jets? Give it a try, my friend. If it doesn't work I'll be surprised. Your spark is likely fine, new spark plugs are a given. Spark should jump nearly 1/2 inch if life is good.

Compression is as follows Port side top to bottom 90 , 90 , 85 , Starboard top to bottom 105, 105 , 90 . One side of head was rebuilt before I got it

One mech told me that when he removed the plug wire for the no 1 cyl at idle it made no difference, but at high speed it would make a difference. Could that be a coil going bad?

Put new plug coil on, am taking fuel out and will replace with reg fuel. Will add Quick shot and try it this weekend. Changed all hose connections from clamps to the tie-ties that the repair shop uses. Thank you all for the advice, will let you know on Monday how it turns out

..Amsoil makes a truly incredible product called Quick Shot. .. Mix it at full strength or a little better

Amsoil instructions say 8oz per 6 gallons, what do you mean by "Mix it at full strength or a little better".

RECOMMENDATIONS
Quickshot is designed for an initial clean-up dose of 8 oz. per 6 gallons of gasoline, followed by 8 oz. per 12 gallons thereafter. Slight overtreatment has no negativeconsequences.

I meant about 10 oz for 6 gallons. I used it to clean a nasty carb up at the resort in Canada....way back in the bush, no chance to get parts. Carb is on a 1972 F250 4x4 pickup. Quick Shot works like 20 times better than Gumout Carb Cleaner. The parts were so clean after a 15 minute soak in gas/Quick Shot at 3 to 4 oz. in 1 quart of expired gas......I thought I had a new carb.

I meant about 10 oz for 6 gallons. I used it to clean a nasty carb up at the resort in Canada....way back in the bush, no chance to get parts. Carb is on a 1972 F250 4x4 pickup. Quick Shot works like 20 times better than Gumout Carb Cleaner. The parts were so clean after a 15 minute soak in gas/Quick Shot at 3 to 4 oz. in 1 quart of expired gas......I thought I had a new carb.

4oz p/Qt = 96oz per 6 gallon . Did you run 1 quart through into the bowl and the jets and let it sit or you had taken the carb off the truck and cleaned it without disassembling it?

No I took off the carb and used Quick Shot at that heavy concentration as the cleaning agent. The gas had gone over terribly and I had been using my other truck for the last 6 years. Gonna go with an outboard (OMC) can from here on out as fuel cell for this truck too. The portage across between the river and our camp is only 2 miles round trip. Don't put enough miles on these trucks for a standard fuel tank.

Took boat out this weekend, above idle ran much better with reg fuel, and new coil. Low idle still a problem, a gentleman that says he works on them part time looked at it and said I was missing the roller cam follower and O ring that holds it on. He said he sees that a lot on older motors with the low idle problem. Have them on order and will let you know. Again thanks to everyone for their help.

Back