Logo

New BF225 Fuel Burn for twins?

Everglades260CC

Contributing Member
Does anyone have real world experience on new BF225 fuel burn? I am looking at re-powering and wondering what people are getting for fuel burn on newer engines. I am looking at 2018's.

If anyone is running twins, please let me know what you are getting. With my 2006's I'm getting ~ 11 gal/hour at 4600 rpm's per motor (so 22 gal/hour total).

Thanks in advance.

Can you turn 6000 rpm at WOT on the current engines? Your fuel burn suggests that you might be a little over propped? I would have thought more like 10gph on current engines if loaded right. I think they would run more economically at 4000 - 4400rpm though before the vtec operates.

Not sure what the later differences are but you might get some improvement out of some prop work anyway if you are a little overloaded..

It was just an example of fuel burn. I typically max out at 5,500 rpm and cruise at 3300 rpm. Just looking to see what newer Honda's are getting for mileage. I've seen reports where the newer Suzuki and Yam's are getting 2mpg's. I would assume Honda would be right there, but looking to see if anyone has some data on 2013's or newer. My current 2006's get around 1mpg or slightly better are cruise.

Just as an aside, we have run a pair of BF175's (same base engine as the 225) for 10 years now and we found that getting the loaded WOT up closer to 6000 made a big difference in our cruise economy. We changed props at one stage from 14.25 x 17 to 14.5 x 15 and got a 35% improvement in economy. A bit of that was in improved prop slip, but most was from lifting the WOT rpms from ~5300 to 5800 - 5900 and getting the engines into a happier loading. Now have a roomy 32ft Power Cat cruising at around 1.5 to 1.6mpg

Can you turn 6000 rpm at WOT on the current engines? Your fuel burn suggests that you might be a little over propped? I would have thought more like 10gph on current engines if loaded right. I think they would run more economically at 4000 - 4400rpm though before the vtec operates.

Not sure what the later differences are but you might get some improvement out of some prop work anyway if you are a little overloaded..

Aliboy, thanks for heads-up. I guess i was a skeptic and i assumed the boat was properly propped. Going to have investigate.

Back