Logo

Recoil spring retaining pin installation

mcurrie

I have a 1976 Johnson 25HP. I replaced the recoil spring and pull cord in the spring and it's worked fine all season, until today. I gave it a few pulls and it wouldn't recoil again. I assumed the spring broke for some reason, but as it turns out, the outer end of the coil slipped off the retainer pin. Upon further inspection, I noticed the pin is bent slight and it'll keep slipping off when I rewind it. I found the part (# 0304500) and it's pretty cheap. What I don't know, is how do I remove the original pin and install the new one?

Thanks for any and all help.

Mark Currie

Can you get behind the pin with a small punch ? If so, drive it out and drive in a new one.

Last edited:
I think that was my mistake last time I had it apart. The pull cord broke, so I lost a few inches of cord. After that, it would pull the entire length of the cord.

Thanks.

Mark

You also need to line up the arrows with rope fully recoiled.-----Has to do with the elliptical sheave for the rope.------Properly set-up makes for less effort to start one of these fine motors.

I have one last question. Is the part #
0304500 metal or plastic? The original one is metal and the ones I've seen for sale online look like they're nylon or plastic.

Mark

That's what I would think as well. Looking at the parts diagram attached, #2 on the digram is part #0304500. A Google image search comes up with the other picture attached.

Mark

Attachments

• 43186.gif
    43186.gif
    52.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 304500--front.jpg
    304500--front.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 24
304500 is called a guide pin !----Found on the back of the housing and acts as a bearing for the sheave.------The anchor pin for the spring is steel.-----Knock that out.-----Find a pin at your favourite hardware store !

Back