Logo

1972 85Hp Johnson slipping above 12 throttle

D

Duffle

" My problem was that my lower

" My problem was that my lower unit was in neutral at all times. With the prop off the shaft, it would spin freely in either direction. Got the lower unit off, took half way apart and for some reason it went back into forward before I got to remove the shaft. Still took everything apart. Did not remove clutch dog from shaft though. Couldn't find anything wrong. Replaced the seals on the propeler shaft houseing and on the drive shaft bearing housing, as well as the o-rings on them due to water getting into the lower unit oil. Brought boat out on water and everything worked great for about 10-15 minutes. Then when I would get above 1/2 throttle in forward, it would just rev up and not increase speed. Up to 1/2 throttle forward, neutral and reverse works fine. Next step I guess is to bring my prop in and have that checked???

Thanks,
Scott "

" I'm having trouble with

" I'm having trouble with cold starting a Mariner 40 HP outboard engine. Not sure the year but previous owner beleives it's a 1991. It has remote throttle
controls,electric start and remote gas tank. It starts up on the second crank with the choke fully engaged runs for 10 seconds and stalls (choke still on). It then takes about 40 cranks to start again and this time it runs forever. No trouble ever running warm. A few times I have had sucess starting cold by pushing the choke right it after starting and it stayed running but this doesn't always work. I'm not sure if I'm running out of gas after the intial start or I'm flooding the
engine by to much choke ? "

Electric shift. It is spring

Electric shift. It is spring loaded to be in forward when the engine is not running. If it is in nuetral then the piston is stuck in the pump bore. These units are well engineered but not well understood.

Back