Logo

Another "Water Pump" issue thread.....

jobe05

1997, 30 hp evinrude, long shaft.

This is a new to me motor, and I am new to the outboard motor world, fairly mechanically inclined and to make matters worse, I own a lot of tools.....

When I bought the boat and motor, I didn't want to hear it run (not that it would have) because it had old gas in the tank that did not have oil in it. It was being shown to me by a guy who didn't know much about it (the owner had passed away and he was helping the widow sell stuff). I could see oil dripping from the bottom end so I knew that would need some work. I bought the unit, fairly cheap.....

I cleaned the gas tank, cleaned and rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel pump, changed spark plugs and the motor ran fine. I did this work with the old leaky lower unit in place, while I was rebuilding another lower unit in my garage to replace this one. I put the rebuilt unit on, and no water....... After tinkering with it, taking it on and off many times to verify that I had things right, propeller turning right, key way in place, O rings in place and greased, nothing worked. I even took the old pump off the known working unit and it too, now, does not pump water. I checked the copper tube that goes from the pump to the motor, made sure it was in place top and bottom and is sealed correctly, and still can not get it to pump water.

The only issue that I am having, other than the no water thing, is the gasket that goes under the plate keeps falling apart. At first I though it was just because I had taking the pump apart a few times but after the second gasket, the first time I took the pump apart, the gasket was broke in half and falling apart from being wet. It was just mush in my fingers. These were not cheap pumps that I bought, they were purchased from reputable marine repair shops. Could the gasket be the issue? Im going to the auto parts store this morning to get some gasket material that may withstand water better and make my own, as I haven't seen a source for just the gasket, with shipping at a reasonable price.

As a side, I have the motor running in a tub of water, however I have tried the muffs without success as well. I have tried to put a small hose on the end of my garden hose, and while in the bucket, put the small hose right up into the water intake to force water to the propeller..... Nothing. I blew air in the pee tube, and into the copper tube feeding the motor...... Nothing....... I have reved the motor, thinking the faster the pump turns the more it would move water, nothing.....

after testing, I did notice that 2 of the plastic pump housings had some of the plastic melted right at the water intake of the metal propeller cup, Im guessing it's due to the cup getting hot? I have changed the plastic housings when I notice this, but I am on my last housing ( I have another one on order)

What am I missing? I have had this thing on and off the boat at least 15 times in the past 2 days, it's driving me nuts.

Is the water in your test bucket about 6" above the pump , yes or no ?

Close, but not a complete 6". Water line is right at the point the gear box and leg bolt together. Had it running in this tank, at this water level for a couple of weeks...... Till I put the new pump on.

Close, but not a complete 6". Water line is right at the point the gear box and leg bolt together. Had it running in this tank, at this water level for a couple of weeks...... Till I put the new pump on.

That water level would be at the bottom level of the water pump... and therein is most likely your problem. The pump is not a self priming pump and must be submerged when starting to function.

Use a regular size plastic trash can and have the water level 5" or 6" inches above that connection joint so that the water pump is completely submerged.

Let us know what you find.

A quick thought (which usually gets me into trouble)..... Can I take the bottom gear box off again, hook the garden hose (with reducers) to the copper water pipe that goes to the engine? Can I run the motor momentarily with that set up? Im thinking when the gasket fell apart, that perhaps something lodged somewhere blocking the water. Not sure how much pressure the water pump puts out, but if I can momentarily hook up the water hose, I can at least flush the motor and rule that out.

OK, I put a bigger trash can under it, filled it so the water level was about half way between the lower unit joint and the bottom mount, right about where it would naturally sit when on the water, ran the engine till it was getting to warm to the touch and nothing...... I am getting water coming out the front bottom hole where the motor mount is, but nothing out the exhaust or pee hole.......

IMG_3200[6319].jpg

Also, Notice in the picture, the motor is running. I use to get a lot of exhaust through the prop and out the little hole in the back lower gear box of the unit and now I don't. If I put my hand over the exhaust it will come out those spots, other wise it's just the exhaust port. Normal?

Take the gearcase off and hook up a hose directly to the water intake tube in the intermediate housing and see if water comes out the pee hose. While you are doing that think about possible corrosion/sediment/oxidation clogging the water passages around the cylinders and the cylinder head, you do not want to apply too much water pressure just in case it is all clogged. You might want to remove the pee hose from the block fitting to see directly if it is clogged. Work your way up through the designed water path of the engine, step by step. There are plugs in the exhaust cooling cover (the first path of the water), and then the pee hole fitting is next, then the cylinders., then the cylinder head.. The factory manuals all have the path diagram in the last pages along with the electronics schematics.

If the gasket that goes under the pump plate disintegrated, it likely is not original Evinrude. If you remove the plate, you can see anything that fell down into the intake screen area and clean it out.

Also, is your newer gearcase identical to the old one?

(Maybe someone here has rigged up a drill or electric motor to turn the shaft with the gearcase removed, to see if the pump draws water?)

Last edited:
Also, is your newer gearcase identical to the old one?

(Maybe someone here has rigged up a drill or electric motor to turn the shaft with the gearcase removed, to see if the pump draws water?)

The gear case has the exact model numbers than mine has, even thought there is one noticeable difference, mine has the square molded pieces for the anodes to sit in and the one I purchased after words does not, just an inset that looks like fins.

FIXED!!!!!!!

I had blown air in every orifice this motor had coming in or going out...... I have had the bottom end off of it at least 20 to 30 times, sometimes just to look at it and play a rerun in my mind of what I did, step by step, I could think of nothing that was wrong, missing or out of place. Of all the things I did to this motor, top end and bottom, the only thing that I questioned, was that water pump gasket. Even though I changed the first one out that disintegrated, I could see the edges of the second one and it looked ok. While I was out for a Dr's appointment, I stopped at the auto parts store and bought some cork/rubber gasket material and some liquid tack gasket cement (forgot the name of it). Got home and made a couple new gaskets. It's raining and is 46 degrees out so I didn't really want to tackle this right now but I have done this so many times now, I could take those 4 bolts and one nut off in about a minute and a half. I gave up hooking up and unhooking the shift linkage a long time ago so I didn't have that to worry about. So out I went, removed the bottom end and brought it in the garage. Removed the pump, installed the gasket with tack, (or is it tac?) and reinstalled the pump. I went out, put the bottom end back on and filled the trash can with water. While I was cranking the motor, the pee hole was pouring out water. Started up and acted like it should! Thank you Lord!!! Im making my own gaskets from now on...... Will never trust a gasket that comes with the pumps, just due to this...

Now I have to winterize it......... stay tuned......

Sweet job, brother. I have come across crappy gaskets too. Make my own quite often. I have an awesome assortment of gasket material. Do you think there could have been a blockage on the intake side of the water pump? Maybe it broke apart and passed through?

I don't think there was any blockage from the first one disintegrating. I mean it was soft, like extremely over cooked rice texture. If I took a piece of that gasket between my fingers, It would turn to wet dust (mud). Do I think some went into the engine? Without a doubt, but I don't think it was enough, or big enough to clog anything.

When I had the bottom end out the first time after I noticed the soft gasket, I cleaned the bottom end out with water and air, lots and lots of air!! Quite positive there was nothing left in the bottom end.

In the end, I think it was a bad gasket the first time, which was an easy fix, just replace the gasket, however that gasket too, came off broken in several spots, as it was soft also. I feel good about my fix. I think the gasket will hold up to the water and pressures (as low as they are). Like I said, I will be making my own gasket from now on.

I went out just a fe3w minutes ago and put the muffs on it, clamped them down so it would leak (as much), cut a garden hose end to fit the muff and put a funnel into the hose. Started the motor and dumped a half gallon of marine antifreeze into the funnel. Antifreeze came out everywhere!! Well, everywhere that water is suppose to.

Hopefully we will get some warmer weather soon so I can at least get this thing out on the water, I haven't even had the chance to use it yet........

44625057_1988052177897432_5843658251542986752_n.jpg

Yeah here in MN we are "closed for season". 15 degrees this morning. My firewood business is very busy now. You are being very careful about freeze up, not really needed, but good insurance. Up here, I just let the motors drain out by themselves in a vertical position. They are engineered to drain enough of the water So a freeze won't hurt. If the motor is tilted in the up position, however, it could be damaged by undrained water freezing. Make sure lower unit oil is clean and no water mixed with it.

I just rebuilt this unit with new seals, O rings and oil, so it is going to be ready for the water when the weather breaks. I have a spare gear box and the parts on order to get it ready to swap out next fall and rebuild that one again over the winter months so I always have a good unit on hand when needed, or when I need to do maintenance, I can just add the water pump and swap it out. I like maintenance, I hate surprises......

I didn't think I would need to winterize it, but it's cheap insurance, at $5 a gallon and I used 1/2 gallon, $2.50 for piece of mind.

Back