Logo

Winterizing Interceptor Marine 292ci (185hp)

KeukaH2O

Is fogging Oil (CRC or Sta-bil) considered an acceptable substitute for RSA Marine Care. The Eaton technical manual "Interceptor Marine" recommends using RSA Marine Care as a rust preventative oil to coat the rocker arms / valves when laying up the engine.
Thanks for your advice.

Where are you storing it? The conditions there and length of time stored will help me make the best suggestion for you. I store my boats and motors in a machine shed in Northern Minnesota. It has a cement floor with no heat or insulation, and I store here for 26 years some items......no protection, no trouble. But this past spring I had trouble with moisture on the concrete floor, very bad. Water was dripping off the frames of my old collector cars and trucks. I will have rust to deal with when I try to bring stuff back to life.
Lesson is.....there are so many variables when things are stored. Synthetic oils and lubes generally have less protection than petrol based products. So keep that in mind. When storing 2 strokes now with considerably lean mixing ratios, it is a good idea to "fog", or at least pull spark plugs and put a little petrol based 2 stroke oil into the cylinders. Your motor, of course, is a 4 stroke......so a brief fog with a petrol product is the best advice to protect valves and cylinders.

I am storing the boat/trailer in my unheated garage with a concrete dry floor for the winter. The Sta-Bil fogging oil is a petroleum based product so I will run with that for use on the valves / rocker arms. I will be coating the cylinder walls as a added measure. Thanks for your input.

Is fogging Oil (CRC or Sta-bil) considered an acceptable substitute for RSA Marine Care. The Eaton technical manual "Interceptor Marine" recommends using RSA Marine Care as a rust preventative oil to coat the rocker arms / valves when laying up the engine.
Thanks for your advice.

Fogging a carbureted engine is a dynamic process (running engine) whereby the fogging solution is to be introduced equally into each intake manifold plane. By using both primary throttle bores, the solution enters each plane.
(for a V-8 engine, if we miss one intake manifold plane, we will have missed 4 cylinders!)

It is best when a helper holds the throttle at about 1,100 RPM as you spray the fogging oil equally into both primary throttle bores (or both throttle bores of a 2 brl carburetor).

The helper will hold 1,100 RPM as you begin to spray into each primary throttle bores.

He will then cut the ignition (still holding the throttle position) as you continue to spray until the crankshaft comes to rest!

The ignition is cut as to prevent combustion of the fogging oil!

This is true engine fogging, and can take place within 10 seconds or so!

However, it will not add any protection to rocker arms or any components that are outside of the actual cylinders.

Keep in mind that we DO NOT fog MPI system engines! That requires a different process, of which is not actually fogging!

Last edited:
Back