Logo

1992A 15 HP Spark plug confusion

Biddaddydan

About everybody (including MarineEngine) seem to specify Champion L82YC for my 152E92A ... except Clymer whom recommends the slighly hotter "87" plug for it while advocating the "82" heat range for engines of the 1992 "B" production run.

I tend to think that's logical since I understand that a thermostat was added to that motor for the 1992 "B" production run which would keep the optimal motor temperature and dispense with need to compensate for different ambiant water temperatures.

But then, what's with Clymer being the only guy with the right tempo in the marching band ? Your educated input would be appreciated.

SPARK PLUG (NGK#BRP-6HS-10) *{(9.9/15)(91C/92A)}*

L86C Champion

This is what the OEM parts calls for.
Thanks, but that raises the gap issue since NGKBRP6HS-10 comes gaped at 1 mm (.038) while Clymer (again !) specifies .030. If that last value's the right one, then one's better off getting NGKBRP6HS (no suffix) that comes with a .7 mm (± .028). What's your view on the right gap ?

A neighbor volunteered that gaping on such small motors should be done according to their use. If used at low speed most of the time (like for trolling) the game should be in the .035 to .040 range while for mostly WOT use, .030 would be the way to go. What's your view on this ?

Regards,

I don't have the factory manual for this motor.

Clymer is an aftermarket manual and not always right and often
doesn't give enough info.
A Clymer manual usually covers a "brand" from 3 hp to 150 and can't have all
the particulars needed to really work on your motor.

You can contact Champion and they should be able to give you the gap.

If you call a local Mercury dealer and ask about buying new plugs and ask the gap, you might
get the answer.

As far as adjusting the gap for different applications(trolling'high speed) ??
I've never heard you should change it for different speeds.

I have heard that some use a hotter plug for trolling but no need for one
when you run faster.

Myself: I just install what the factory recommends and gap them to factory specs.
Been working for over 50 years.

Is the neighbor a certified marine mechanic?

I don't have the factory manual for this motor.

Clymer is an aftermarket manual and not always right and often
doesn't give enough info.
A Clymer manual usually covers a "brand" from 3 hp to 150 and can't have all
the particulars needed to really work on your motor.

You can contact Champion and they should be able to give you the gap.

If you call a local Mercury dealer and ask about buying new plugs and ask the gap, you might
get the answer.

As far as adjusting the gap for different applications(trolling'high speed) ??
I've never heard you should change it for different speeds.

I have heard that some use a hotter plug for trolling but no need for one
when you run faster.

Myself: I just install what the factory recommends and gap them to factory specs.
Been working for over 50 years.

Is the neighbor a certified marine mechanic?

Word of wisdom, indeed. Will call Champion. Just for the record, the neighbor is the McGiver-type, a former bushpilot and an absolute wiz with anything mechanical.

Jerryjerry05,

Could get my hands on the Force Outboards' Service Manual for the 9.9 and 15 HP.

Here is the score:

For 1988-1989 : both models should sport L82-C plugs gaped at .030.

For 1990-1992 : 9,9 hp should sport L87YC gaped at .030 while 15 hp should sport L82YC also gaped at .030.

For 1993 on: 9,9 hp should sport L87YC (RL87YC) but gaped at .040 while 15 hp should sport L82YC (RL87YC) also gaped at .040.

Finally, SELOC was quite off, CLYMER almost had it but Brunswick has the final saying.

This brings this thread to its conclusion and I want to thank you again for your invaluable input.

Back