Logo

5.7 350 MAG MPI -2003 Starting Issue

abl1111

Regular Contributor
Hmmm.

Just recently, when starting from cold, the engine has sputtered. kicked - started for an instant and then quit. Normally, she would start right up.

Symptoms - she wont start but will sputter. When continuing to try to start, I smell fuel. If it does start it will for a few rough seconds and quit. Sometimes when I am cranking the starter, it sounds as if it is bucking - not a smooth sound of a starter trying to start the engine.

The only way she will finally start is to put in neutral and have the idle up, then she starts - I'll keep at 1500 rpm; and then bring her down to idle and all is good again. She will start every time after that... and run perfectly

I checked the cap and rotor - cleaned off any fuzz. All spark plugs are on fine.

I'm going to empty the water / fuel separator next.

What does this sound like ? Engine has just short of 1000 hours.

You'll want to clean the throttle body, flame arrester, IAC motor (Idle Air Control) and all passage ways and replace the IAC muffler if your model has one located in the T/B housing....Would need your engine serial number to confirm this....

Check fuel pressure as it may be a bit to high or low....You ought to have a fuel schrader valve on the fuel rail making it easier for you to check once you get a fuel pressure gauge that fits your schrader valve.

Your distributor housing design of 2003ish was susceptible to heavy moisture in-turn wetting down the inside of the cap/rotor making it hard to start.....Does it seem colder or more humid right now vs your normal usage ?....May want to recheck under the cap ASAP when it's not starting for moisture.

Are your battery Volts and Cold Cranking Amps up to specifications for your engine model ?.

One of your MPI sensors could also be just slightly out of normal sensing value ranges affecting the clod start feature...Such as the Engine Coolant Temp sensor, The T/MAP sensor, 'Which two ways to inspect those would be to use a marine scan tool while cold both engine off first then right at engine start up....And if you don't have a scan tool then multimeter could help some too.

When was the last tune-up done? The correct gapped spark plugs where installed ?..... What does the spark plugs look like right now? Are they rich looking at all ?.

Definitely check your fuel separator too.

You may or may not have a low pressure fuel pump installed between your fuel filter separator and fuel tank....You'll want to be aware if you do or don't incase you have to check the fuel pressure there too.

These are just some quick ideas that come to mind, hope it's an easy fix for you...Good luck.:)

OK - Thank you. My serial # is: OM634400.

About 10 years ago, my Mercruiser guy swapped out the dizzy for a newer style under a warranty/ recall - it was, I assume due to the moisture you mentioned - I had to clean that old dizzy cap/ rotor contacts all the time back then to remove the white fuzzies. After the swap, it has not been a problem at all.

Checked the water fuel separator. All was clean.

The very first time she did not start right up, it was right after a really COLD snap here - I initially though of a sensor.
Yesterday, after not using her for a week - she initially started right up. I turned her right off, and then when trying to restart - it was difficult. Had to do the neutral/ throttle thing.

This am - the boat started right up, although she does surge up and down at idle when cold ( she has always done this, but I think a little bit more lately ).

Then, she ran great for a few hours.

The first time she did not start up, it was right after a really COLD snap here.

You'll want to clean the throttle body, flame arrester, IAC motor (Idle Air Control) and all passage ways and replace the IAC muffler if your model has one located in the T/B housing....Would need your engine serial number to confirm this....

You'll want to clean the throttle body, flame arrester, IAC motor (Idle Air Control) and all passage ways and replace the IAC muffler if your model has one located in the T/B housing.... I'll take a look at the shop manual and do this.

Check fuel pressure as it may be a bit to high or low....You ought to have a fuel schrader valve on the fuel rail making it easier for you to check once you get a fuel pressure gauge that fits your schrader valve. Will look for the Schrader valve - I have a full pressure gauge that I can retro fit to work. You know where this valve is ? What is the proper reading ?

Are your battery Volts and Cold Cranking Amps up to specifications for your engine model ? How do I check this ? I have a good voltmeter - where do I attach ?

One of your MPI sensors could also be just slightly out of normal sensing value ranges affecting the clod start feature...I agree Such as the Engine Coolant Temp sensor I just had work done on my cooling system - my mechanic troubleshot and replaced my heat exchanger, where is the engine coolant sensor ? The T/MAP sensor, 'Which two ways to inspect those would be to use a marine scan tool while cold both engine off first then right at engine start up....And if you don't have a scan tool then multimeter could help some too.

When was the last tune-up done? Not in a loooooong while. Have new plugs, but could use ignition wires, cap and rotor ( actually bought all the parts just have not had time to replace. The correct gapped spark plugs where installed ? Yes ..... What does the spark plugs look like right now? I'll check Are they rich looking at all ?.

You may or may not have a low pressure fuel pump installed between your fuel filter separator and fuel tank....You'll want to be aware if you do or don't incase you have to check the fuel pressure there too. Not sure. I have the fuel pump that gets cooled by saltwater on the port side of the engine and then on the starboard, I do have a fuel pump, near the fuel separator, but never thought of what kind it is.

About 10 years ago, my Mercruiser guy swapped out the dizzy for a newer style under a warranty/ recall - it was, I assume due to the moisture you mentioned - I had to clean that old dizzy cap/ rotor contacts all the time back then to remove the white fuzzies. After the swap, it has not been a problem at all.
Yes the old design would of been a concern for your starting/running issue you seem to be having now.

Checked the water fuel separator. All was clean.
Was the filter still completely full of fuel when you removed the filter?...And if you haven't yet, be sure you install a new one too of course.

You'll want to clean the throttle body, flame arrester, IAC motor (Idle Air Control) and all passage ways and replace the IAC muffler if your model has one located in the T/B housing.... I'll take a look at the shop manual and do this.
The passage ways to clean would be the dotted line from item number 6 on over to item number 16ish ,http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0M634400/444206HRS/8093_85

The IAC muffler is item number 6 that needs to be clean/replaced and ensured is still in place every so often as it does disappear into thin air at times...Clean the throttle plate and inside housing too the best you can.

This guy replaced his which may be helpful in your case too, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROOlvjx38BU
You don't have to remove the T/B housing to clean as described in the following link but there are many how to videos of how to clean throttle bodies on cars/trucks that will help give you some ideas...,Edit: The links not working here on this website so you'd have to search online ( MerCruiser Throttle Body Factory Service Reference 5.0 5.7 6.2 ) http://downloadrepairmanualpdf.blog spot .com/2014/01/mercruiser-throttle-body-factory.html

Check fuel pressure as it may be a bit to high or low....You ought to have a fuel schrader valve on the fuel rail making it easier for you to check once you get a fuel pressure gauge that fits your schrader valve. Will look for the Schrader valve - I have a full pressure gauge that I can retro fit to work. You know where this valve is ?
The valve ought to be on the fuel rail center that runs between the two sides...The valve is covered by a black cap that resembles a tire valve cap...See item numbers 18 and 19, http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0M634400/444206HRS/8093_90

What is the proper reading ?
Right around 43 PSI +/-5ish psi but usually 43 psi is with the vacuum hose removed from the fuel regulator at idle RPM.... item numbers 19 and 13, http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0M634400/444206HRS/8093_60

Are your battery Volts and Cold Cranking Amps up to specifications for your engine model ? How do I check this ? I have a good voltmeter - where do I attach ?
Connect your meter right to the battery posts but make sure all the cable connections look clean and tight and check the cable connector ends too if you think it becomes ever needed...An auto store could test the batteries too but having the following tool comes in handy pretty often as well, https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-automotive-battery-analyzer-66892.html

One of your MPI sensors could also be just slightly out of normal sensing value ranges affecting the clod start feature...I agree Such as the Engine Coolant Temp sensor I just had work done on my cooling system - my mechanic troubleshot and replaced my heat exchanger, where is the engine coolant sensor ?
The coolant sensor will look like item number 6 and it will have both a Yellow and Black wire coming out of it. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0M634400/444206HRS/8093_190
^ Being you have closed cooling the coolant sensor might be elsewhere of the thermostat housing such as the front of the intake manifold so be mindful of that small possibility.

The T/MAP sensor, 'Which two ways to inspect those would be to use a marine scan tool while cold both engine off first then right at engine start up....And if you don't have a scan tool then multimeter could help some too.
Just for quick reference the T/MAP sensor is item number 8, http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0M634400/444206HRS/8093_90

When was the last tune-up done? Not in a loooooong while. Have new plugs, but could use ignition wires, cap and rotor ( actually bought all the parts just have not had time to replace. The correct gapped spark plugs where installed ? Yes ..... What does the spark plugs look like right now? I'll check Are they rich looking at all ?.
Got to get your priorities in line here...:D Time to get to work on the boat and not at your actual work that helps pay for the boat....Lol...Just kidding.:)

A preventive maintenance type tune up may be your answer but even if it isn't doing it would help give you the indication if further diagnostics are still needed.

The very first time she did not start right up, it was right after a really COLD snap here - I initially though of a sensor.
Yesterday, after not using her for a week - she initially started right up. I turned her right off, and then when trying to restart - it was difficult. Had to do the neutral/ throttle thing.

This am - the boat started right up, although she does surge up and down at idle when cold ( she has always done this, but I think a little bit more lately ).

Then, she ran great for a few hours.

The first time she did not start up, it was right after a really COLD snap here.
Being the engine was started and turned off quickly and coming right out of a very cold spell this time of year....'There's a chance you may have caught an slow moving IAC motor right between a point that it was unable to provide the correct amount of air to help start the engine on it's own and by you opening the throttle up a bit helped get the engine started in turn giving the ECM a chance to reset the IAC motor to it's correct placement.

It typically recommended (especially on cold engines/days) that you cycle the key on and off slowly 2 times before cranking the engine over to start in-turn giving the fuel and electrical component systems to prime themselves up....Even your car/truck would like you better if you first key up until the fuel pump turns itself off within the first few seconds before cranking over to start.:)

Back