Logo

Fouling spark plugs

mhw1956

My 1972 85 HP outboard fouls the plugs at an idle when I leave the dock. I was told to adjust the the slow speed mixture screws on the face of the carbs but they seem to be adjusted all the way in. Any suggestions or will it be necessary to rebuild the carbs?

Well, they should not be all the way in !!------What do you mean when you say " it fouls the plugs when you leave the dock " ??------Does the motor stall ?---Have you removed and examined the plugs ?---Any real trouble shooting done ?----Gas and oil mixed at 50:1 on this motor ?

Does this motor have fixed low speed jets? Then those screws are just caps.....aren't they? Maybe I'm thinking about another model.....dah!

After I leave the dock it takes a little while for the motor to come up tp speed, when I idle it down ot starts running rough. When I came back to the dock the motor stalled. We took the plugs out and they were black. Haven't done any real trouble shooting, I mix the gas and oil 50 to 1.

It could be that if its running this rich, the fuel pump is leaking into the crankcase. This would be better for you because the carbs are likely okay. Has this motor been exposed to ethanol fuel? That is the "kiss of death" for these fuel pumps.

Back