Logo

Ford RH Rear Main Seal Crankshaft Problem

skiboat

New to the forum so thank you all in advance...

I am restoring my late grandfathers 26' Lyman with a 1968 Ford Interceptor 289. Wasn't running (recent rebuild wasn't winterized before being installed and froze) I was lucky to find it after years outside the family.

Motor is RH rotation. Motor came with a crankshaft that has the Rear Main Seal mating surface machined down about .010.. Not only did this make the mating surface smaller they machined flat the directional "knurls" that keep oil in the motor. Someone installed a Fel Pro crankshaft sleeve over the area. When I opened the motor I saw the RMS rubber melted to the sleeve. I am debating my options for reassembly.

1) Do I reinstall another sleeve? The Felpro is a bit loose and appears that it might be too big for the two piece RMS. I did find a SKF Redi Sleeve that is .005 smaller and may fit better. However, Fel Pro does not recommend the use of a sleeve with their 2 piece seal. I presume since they do not have "knurls" built into them and rely on those machined into the crankshaft. (something the sleeves do not have)

2) Ideas on a source for another 289 RH rotation crankshaft. I believe a 260 crank would work as well.

3) Can I convert to a one piece seal and use the smaller Redi Sleeve that fits better. The one piece seals have their own "knurls" that keep oil out. Only problem, NO ONE makes a one piece seal for a RH 289/302 Ford.

4) Is it possible to weld a crankshaft like this, build up the area, machine to spec and add the "knurls". My local machinist cannot do this.

Any advice is appreciated.

Back