Logo

Mercury Outboard Problem??

Salmon8522

I have a 1999 Mercury 40 hp - 4 stroke, 3 cylinder (model 40ELHPT) that has been in storage for 5 months. When I tried to start it everything worked fine until I tried to run at high speed on the water. I did some checking and found that my middle cylinder in not running. I put in new spark plugs and all cylinders have spark but the center cylinder does not ignite. Drained all of the old fuel out of the carbs and tank and replaced with new. Also added some Sea Foam to the gas to hopefully loosen anything that might have gummed up. Replaced the fuel line from the tank to the motor to insure there were no leaks. Replaced the inline fuel filter so it's new. Checked the fuel pump and it is sending fuel to the carbs properly so no fuel issues until it gets to the carbs. When I remove the drain screws on the side of the carbs the gas runs out of each carbs freely. Removed the air filter going into the carbs and sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body. The motor will run on top cylinder and bottom cylinder but not on center cylinder. It appears that there is no gas getting to the center cylinder as the spark plug is dry when I remove it. I will do a compression check on the cylinders today to rule out any major issue. Any ideas on why I don't get gas to this cylinder before I have to remove the carbs?

Last edited:
Was it stored with ethanol 10 percent fuel? This is likely your problem then. The middle carb jet is plugged off. Amsoil Quick Shot might clean and dissolve the crap in the jet, you will have to get your present fuel out and Quick Shot in. Take the gas line off and put the product directly into the affected carb.....after you have drained out the Sea Foam mix. You can use a squeeze bottle, like what comes with a hair coloring set. Mix the Quick Shot at 3x the recommended strength. Just do a half gallon and put the rest in the tank later. Let it soak for a day or 2. If that doesn't work you will have to dismantle the carb.

Back