Logo

Shifting Slow?

jeffnick

Regular Contributor
VP260A w/ Aquamatic 250 in a houseboat.

When I had her out today (for the first time in quite a while) I noticed something new. When I put her into gear at idle, I know she's shifting because the RPM's drop a little and she lazily moves forward, but when I get her up to about 900RPM I can feel a slight bump and she's a more responsive. It seems like shes sluggish going all the way into forward. Reverse is fine. The linkage under the cover appears to be adjusted correctly for full travel in both directions. This isn't really a problem, if it's not a problem...just wondering what might be going on?

Jeff, the slow smooth engagement is very normal and is the nature of the sliding sleeve coming in contact with it's respective gear cup.
The oil lubrication and the oil groves in the sliding sleeve prevent abrupt engagement.

The "bump" that you feel may be caused by the prop pushing the drive forward against the set pin.

Jeff, the slow smooth engagement is very normal and is the nature of the sliding sleeve coming in contact with it's respective gear cup.
The oil lubrication and the oil groves in the sliding sleeve prevent abrupt engagement.

The "bump" that you feel may be caused by the prop pushing the drive forward against the set pin.

That makes a lot of sense...especially when throttling back then giving her a little gas while coasting...and I sometimes feel that 'slight bump' again.

Thanks!

When slowing down, the drive will often disengage from the set pin due to the force of water moving on the prop being more than the prop thrust. When you come to a complete stop or throttle up, there will be a noise as the drive reengages the set pin.

Back