Logo

Johnson seahorse 35hp fuel prime issue

AuburnMike

Johnson seahorse 35hp with priming issues. Cannot get the line to prime. Rebuilt the fuel pump. New gas tank, hose and primer bulb. Checked each part of system between tank and fuel pump for leaks by disconnecting and using primer bulb to see if pressure would build. No leaks. When mounted back to motor sounds like air pushing out carburetor. Any ideas on next steps?

Checked INSIDE your fuel tank for a leak ?----Model # of the motor.-----There are many different 35 HP versions.

Checked INSIDE your fuel tank for a leak ?----Model # of the motor.-----There are many different 35 HP versions.
Model number j35elcnd. Had no issues with tank prior to rebuild. Could prime the engine initially but once motor used fuel in line it would not draw additional fuel unless you kept squeezing the bulb. Now that pump is rebuilt cant prime system. Double checked my rebuild several times and everything seems good. It’s a simple rebuild.

1982 model.----If you are pumping air through the carburetor something is wrong.-----Easy fix if motor was in my reach I would say.-----Yes I know how simple those pumps are.

There is a port in the back of fuel pump where pump mounts to block. It appears this creates a pressure back and forth as you prime the system. I’m thinking there is no back pressure on the relief valve covering port on inside of fuel pump which allows for open air path to the carb. Is there something behind the metal plate on side motor block that I need to replace?

When you operate the bulb fuel simply flows through the valves in the pump and into the carburetor.------When the motor is running there is a positive pressure pulse and a slight negative pulse from the crankcase.-----Those pulses along with the action of the spring is what pumps the fuel. There is no way that air can be coming from the back of the pump if it is " rebuilt " as you say.

Why did you rebuild the pump? Were you having trouble before? It would seem you have a problem other than the pump, but you say it is a new tank and hose. Very odd.

Back