Logo

1989 Ford 2.3 Cold Idle

trowj

I've got a 1989 Bayliner Capri 1950, with the Ford 2.3 pushing me along. The boat I picked up complete and running this last year in the fall, and got to take it out once on the water (reportedly, 3 weeks after it was last out on another lake). Once we got out it purred like a kitten (though a bit over-revved, so I'm planning a prop swap), but it REALLY didn't want to idle while cold. The engine LOOKS to be in just about perfect-rebuild condition on visual inspection, but we all know that means not so much.

Off the trailer it didn't want to back up because it couldn't stay running, but once it spun around you could kinda goose it to get it forward a few feet. Sitting at a dock, it needed to be constantly restarted every 3-5 seconds. First change was to try upping the idle adjustment, which...kinda helped but not much. On the way out of the harbor we had to keep restarting it, but once we cleared the no-wake zone and could run some throttle it at least stayed running - and once it fully warmed up on the other side of the lake, we could drop to idle and it was happy (had to back off the adjuster again, it was way high). Ran happy in the no-wake zone all the way in, and got back to the trailer, loaded up fine no issues.

For the fall/early winter it's going to sit in my garage while I do some vinyl work and the prop swap, so I figure it's as good a place as any to hook up the hose and drain into a kiddy pool while i try to fix the idle issue. My first thought is to pull off and clean the carb, but assuming that's not the fix, any ideas?

Back