Logo

Problem with DT30 3 cylinder suzuki 1992 model

Rob Pattie

Good day All,
I am hoping that someone can help with a problem on a dt30 suzuki that we cannot resolve. The motor reacts as follows, it starts on the 3rd pull and runs reasonably well. Then it starts to drop power and begins shuddering and missing. When we get going and open the throttle it misses and shudders and will not get up to speed. Once you pull the chock out quickly it seems to clear and then runs well. After a distance of about 2000 meters it starts to lack power shudder and wants to die. After this it just battles to start and when it gets going again will not perform. On idle it is rough and dies periodically.
We have cleaned the carbs several times, replaced fuel pump and done ohms check on all electrical units all right. I have now stripped out the reedvalves and new gaskets etc. The reed valves are still good.
Another point is if we change spark plugs after it's starts playing up it starts first time and runs well then the whole issue repeats itself.
Cannot find what could be the cause help is needed please.
Kind regards Rob

Do you have enough ventilation at the tank? It can only be that or a leak on your fuel system - sucking in air at either of you fuel lines or at the connectors.

Do you have enough ventilation at the tank? It can only be that or a leak on your fuel system - sucking in air at either of you fuel lines or at the connectors.

Thanks for your reply and sorry to be so late in getting back to you. I have done all those checks but what I did was I stripped the carbs again and checked everything and found the rubber grommets at the bottom of the main get port were lose and not sealing. Replaced those and started the engine what a difference it made. I also then stripped the pwerhead off and found the bottom crank seals were also in a bad way as well as the impeller that had a broken vein.i am finishing all that today and touch would hope to have solved the issues. I will let you know. Kind regards Rob

Good luck, let us know how it goes, while you are in there make sure you just go over all the fuel lines and make sure they are tight. Crank seals are a problem with these motors but you only need to replace them once then they are good for life, normally when a crank seal is bad on this specific model it will only have trouble idling.

Back