Logo

4 year old pre-mixed gas OK to run in Mercury?

keviwe

Is it OK to run 4 year old pre-mixed gas in 1977 Mercury 175HP. About 3 gallons left in tank. Fuel was originally stabilized before storing.

Run it in your $50 lawn mower.-------Not a motor that takes $15,000 to replace with a new one.
This is the winning answer. 3gal of gas is what, $8.00? You want to risk your $50 mower, your >$1000 outboard, or just throw it out & play it safe?

I would add it to the tank of my car or truck just before I fill it. I have done that for years with my left over mixed outboard fuel with repercussions.

This is the winning answer. 3gal of gas is what, $8.00? You want to risk your $50 mower, your >$1000 outboard, or just throw it out & play it safe?

Yeah, not the $ I'm concerned with $. I certainly would not throw out gasoline and pollute! I asked because it's a huge hassle to dispose of it properly at a recycling center (2 hours driving time). I was hoping to use it up without having to spend the drive time. I don't own a lawn mower (no need where I live) so that's why I asked. I will gradually put it into my old car (with 265K on it). Gradually, maybe one gallon at a time, so I don't foul O2 sensors Or foul the catalytic converter

Thanks, I will gradually add it to my old car with 265K on it. Gradually so as not to foul the O2 sensors or the cat converter.

If it is ethanol (10 percent) at 4 years old, you may have more problems within the motor. If its pure gas.....non oxy, you should be okay. Don't use that 4 year old ethanol (if is really is ethanol) in ANYTHING......except for cleaning parts or starting a brush fire. Additionally, I would most certainly replace any and all fuel filters and clean any screens in the system.

Last edited:
Back