Logo

which main jet nozzle for sea level operation

Can someone please tell me which main nozzle i will need in my carburetor for sea level operation on my honda bf8ah outboard ?
I am ordering a new carb from boats.net & i see that there are 6 of them available in the parts diagram. Thanks !

Hi,
My Honda carb manual lists the main jet as #88.
Obviously, if you're working on an engine that you've owned and operated for some time and you were happy with its performance, then you might want to go with the same size that's already there.

Typically, Honda offers the "downsized" jets to compensate for above sea level operations and the reduced atmospheric pressure encountered higher up.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info ! The carb that i am ordering from boats.net shows that the main jet nozzle comes with the #003 jet. Can you tell me if the carb will function properly with this size jet in it or will i need to order the #088 jet ? the motor is operated at sea level.

I think we are talking about two different things. The #088 is the sea level specified MAIN JET.

The #003 is what Honda calls the SLOW JET. The slow jet is in ADDITION to the main jet. The main feeds the engine at high speed, throttle open conditons while the slow jet feeds the engine at closed throttle conditions.

I believe that the 003 is also the "stock" slow jet for that carburetor but I don't have all the documentation needed to lay it all out for you. I don't see slow jet data listed in my marine carburetion manual and that's all I have to work with.

I think that the official Honda parts publications that authorized dealers have contains the jetting specifications for ordering the alternate components.

Last edited:
So do you think that if i order the entire carb assembly as listed in the boats.net diagram it will perform properly at sea level or should i order the 088 jet & install it in the new carb ? Thanks

Yes, purchase the carb as is and install. It should be pre-set for sea level operations and would have the #88 MAIN jet already mounted.
That's my opinion at any rate.

Good luck.

Back