Logo

Sources for AQ130C sea water pump?

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
Can anyone point me to sources for a new sea water pump for the AQ130C engine? The OEM part# is 829895, but I do not want to spend $450 by buying it from Volvo Penta.

Johnson Pump makes a series of compatible pumps..PN 10-35098-2, 10-35098-3 and 10-35098-4. The -2 and -4 models have threaded ports, which is great but the threads are metric (3/8" BSP female) and finding a suitable adapter or hose barb for 5/8" ID hose has turned out to be all but impossible from a USA based supplier. The -3 model has un-threaded ports which accept the copper nipples that the OEM 829895 pump uses and I have from the pump I am replacing.

I have done a lot of searching but not had any luck finding the -3 model, but the -2 and -4 versions are available but I hesitate to buy one of them unless I absolutely have to because of the threaded ports.

Thanks!

Thanks -- but don't want a used or rebuilt one...new only.

UPDATE: I am finding several new(other) ones on eBay.UK that ship from the US.

Last edited:
According to a supplier who talked to Johnson Pump tech support, it turns out that the Johnson Pump 10-35098-2 and 10-35098-4 pumps can use the push in hose barbs like my OEM VP 829895 pump used. Good thing because these are fairly easy to find.

I'm slowly realizing that parts for these old AQ30 engines will become all but impossible to find. Sadly, when that happens and I need a part, that may be the death blow to this boat even though it is in otherwise great shape.

Last edited:
UPDATE for those who may be following this thread:

I ended up buying a new Johnson/SPX Flow 10-35098-2 pump. It will not accept the push-in hose barbs. The port openings are too small to even accept the connector without the rubber seal on it. I searched and search for the proper 3/8" BSP male threaded 5/8" hose barbs and found some on eBay, shipped from Hong Kong, for cheap ($5 for five of them). Hopefully they will work OK but now I have all off-season to find something else if not.

Back